$63k raised for mum who stole chicken drumstick as Children's Day gift for sick daughter
News went viral of a young single mother caught stealing a chicken drumstick and two books as Children's Day gifts, according to Chinese media outlets.
News went viral of a young single mother caught stealing a chicken drumstick and two books as Children's Day gifts, according to Chinese media outlets.
Hacks – they are a truly beautiful thing. They are those small tweaks that can make your life a whole lot easier. They are those things you see on Pinterest that make you say – “Why didn’t I ever think of that?”
I try to squeeze in my greens with every meal … I really do try! I love spinach and kale, and all the health benefits that come along with eating these magical greens. But I’ll be honest, I need some dressing or lemon vinaigrette to be able to eat them. When juicing became a hit, I immediately got excited! I can finally eat my greens without even tasting them in my smoothies! How amazing is that?!
Mums everywhere turn to Vicks VapoRub when their little ones fall ill, but most don’t know that misusing the popular remedy can actually make your child’s symptoms worse—even to the point of sending them to the hospital.
When an 18-month-old girl was sent to the emergency room after having trouble breathing, Dr. Bruce Rubin and his team found out that her grandparents had rubbed Vicks VapoRub under her nose.
It can be exhausting when your toddler wakes up many times a night, needing you to cuddle her or sleep in her bed. You hear stories about babies sleeping all night, so when see that your two year old is waking 3 and 4 times a night, you realize that you are ready for a solution.
1. When you get home, ask, “What can I do to help?” Then for at least five minutes, actually do what she says. A lot of people ask this question and then do half of the job. So, the job is set the table, and they take out some plates. Or the job is diaper the baby, and they leave the wipes and the cream open and an empty bag of diapers laying around. Only five minutes is necessary for many household related tasks, or five minutes could make a good dent. At the very least, for five minutes your wife will see you fully engaged in a task, and not sitting doing nothing (which women hate), and that will magically make her happy and less stressed out.
2. Tell your wife what she does that you appreciate. For five whole minutes, tell her what she does that makes you happy and feel appreciative and grateful. Five minutes is a long time to talk, and you’ll see that this can make a real positive impact on your wife’s feelings. She may look at you with a smile like she did when you were dating. Or a more tired version of it at least.
3. Send your wife an email about how much you love her. No logistics, no plans, just a love letter. Women love this stuff. Most of them. If you try it and it doesn’t have any happiness impact, then next time try the next one...
4. Go on Amazon or Etsy and take five minutes to buy your wife a little surprise present. This doesn’t take very long.
5. When you want to have sex, look into your wife’s eyes and tell her how much you want her and how sexy she is. Use SPECIFICS. Do this for five minutes. This is longer than most men take, by a power of 1 million. Because, let’s face it, the usual is, “You’re so hot,” or no words at all, and then onto the kissing, if not the main event. Five minutes of saying how much you desire your wife and WHY is five minutes more than she may have heard in a while.
When tragedy strikes, most people think, I would love to help, but I’m just one person, what could I possibly do?
Well, three boys in New York City are showing the country just how much one person — not to mention three little people — can do with a generous heart and some hard work.
New book focuses on the importance of grit in children and adults. Millennials, who grew up with helicopter parents, may lack resiliency, co-authors say. Colleges across the country now teaching resiliency on campus
We all want our children to be healthy and happy, but food—the very thing that should nourish the next generation—has become a battleground for many families, and the source of much confusion and controversy in the media.
"See babies as people in their own right, naturally deserving of our respect. See babies not as helpless beings but as active, phenomenal learners with an innate urge to explore their world and the people in it, from birth. When we see babies in this way, our practice will naturally change for the better." - Lisa Sunbury Gerber
This is the most delicious cauliflower recipe you’ll eat and on top of that it’s such an easy addition to include a roasted cauliflower in your family’s dinner plan or for a dinner party with friends.
Your kid is part of a whole generation that can swipe right before they can write. And because of that fact, you’ve become a little paranoid with how they interact with technology. It’s one thing to curb screentime, cut off the Wi-Fi, or investigate the feasibility of becoming Amish. But instead of taking their tech away (or just running away), why not just teach them how to use all of it responsibly and for their benefit?
San Francisco photographer Melissa Kaseman knows that imaginative art can come in tiny packages. That much is evident in her photo series, “Preschool Pocket Treasures,” which depicts the small objects she finds stuffed in her son’s pockets each day when he comes home from preschool.
Most school field trips are to places the students might never go on their own: a museum, a play, a nature preserve. The idea is to open kids wide to the wonderful world. This past spring one grammar school in Silicon Valley started sending kids to a very different, but equally mind-blowing place: their own neighborhood.
On their own. Without an adult.
Parents now need to bribe children in a bid to make them read at bedtime rather than use iphones and other gadgets, a new survey has revealed.
Toys are not merely playthings. Toys form the building blocks for our child’s future. They teach our children about the world and about themselves. They send messages and communicate values...
“Children feel under pressure to have this perfect life that it looks like everyone else is having according to Instagram and that’s really hard to deal with”
Make a monster slime sensory writing tray for such a fun way to learn to write the alphabet, practise phonics, name writing and sight words! The googly eyes are so much extra fun and this theme could be paired with many fantastic monster story books too.
At some point of time in our lives, we have to deal with changes. While some of us deal with changes more readily, there are also those who are resistant to them. As adults, we find ways and strategies to help ourselves cope with such transitions. It is pretty much the same with toddlers, but these small ones would need us to help them find a coping mechanism.
Throughout my ten years as an Occupational Therapist, I have seen and continue to see a decline in kids’ social, emotional, academic functioning, as well as a sharp increase in learning disabilities and other diagnoses.
No matter what their culture, or where they live, or whether they have toys, kids will always find ways to have fun. And happy childhood moments captured on camera make for truly magical photos.
Any good parent wants their kids to stay out of trouble, do well in school, and go on to do awesome things as adults. And while there isn't a set recipe for raising successful children, psychology research has pointed to a handful of factors that predict success.
Unsurprisingly, much of it comes down to the parents. Here's what parents of successful kids have in common:
Forget fancy superfoods. These nutritious powerhouse will prove worthy friend for you and your family.
Those of us who grew up with siblings already know that there will inevitably come a time when we will not get along with one or more of them. (Perhaps this is why some people think being an only child has more benefits!)
However, even if conflict is part of every relationship, there are certain things we can do to make sure they are minimal at best. Here are a few ways we parents can help our children grow up as friends:
People have a lot of opinions about breastfeeding in general, but they have even more to say about extended breastfeeding. Nevermind that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends nursing throughout a baby's first year (and for as long afterward as both the mother and child want to continue) or that the World Health Organization suggests breastfeeding for at least two years—to some onlookers (including friends and family), nursing a toddler is just plain weird.
More than 3 million people in America are affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), with prevalence on the rise in recent years. While the symptoms of this group of brain development disorders vary, these are signs that a person may be on the autism spectrum.
Optical illusions can be super fun. They not only reveal a great deal about how the brain works – they can also reveal a great deal about one’s personality.
Do you know how to administer CPR or the Heimlich maneuver in babies and kids? If your answer is no, well, you should. Mind you, knowing how to perform these emergency maneuvers on adults is entirely different when performing it on babies and kids.
PowerToFly president Katharine Zaleski admits: “I didn’t realize how horrible I’d been—until I had a child of my own.”
Obviously, many people don't know two amazing facts about him. First, Matthew is aware that his appearance is different and accepts the way he is. He is extremely happy and energetic. Second, with a love of football, he has ambition to play for Real Madrid or Manchester United, but he is yet struggling to decide which team to approach!
When your toddler has a temper tantrum, it may send you into one, too! However, experts agree that it is crucial to keep your cool. With these coping strategies, you can head off two tantrums at once: yours and your child's.
One of the most fascinating things of parenting is watching your children learn and develop. From the moment they are placed in your arms their little minds are absorbing knowledge and information from the world around them. They’re always watching, always listening (even when you wish they weren’t!) and all the time, their minds are expanding. There’s no ‘off’ switch when it comes to toddler’s learning. From the minute they wake in the (very) early morning their brains are little sponges; soaking up whatever their environment has to offer.
Apart from the facts that the “Harry Potter” series has reached more people than any other book series in history and inspired an entire generation to read, Adam Grant, a professor of management at Wharton and author of “Originals,” tells Business Insider that J.K. Rowling is perhaps the most influential person alive because of what her books teach kids: originality and morality.
The type of discipline you use can have a dramatic effect on your child’s development. Your discipline strategies can have a big impact on the type of relationship you have with your child. The various approaches to discipline can even influence a child’s mood and temperament into adulthood.
Researchers have discovered four types of parenting styles. These different styles are dependent on what the parent feels the child needs from them.
As a result, each parenting style uses a different approach to discipline.
Good work-life balance - what does it really look like?
Its contours are vague, definitions different.
"What constitutes a healthy work-life balance will vary substantially between individuals and families. Some people may be able to tolerate more demanding working conditions than others," says Dr Jonathan Ramsay, a lecturer at the Human Resource Management Programme at SIM University.
He offers a working definition.
"For most parents with office jobs - especially those with young children - a work-life balance would involve being able to spend the majority of their evenings and weekends with their children," he says.
Educators face challenges, funding issues, and problems beyond their control. But for each student and family, it’s all about the relationship they will have with their child's teacher.
I wondered often if my heart would possibly be able to expand and find room to love another child as much as I loved my daughter.
You don't really need to answer that. We can save you the trouble of trying to figure it out and just say that the answer is most likely 'no'. Your child is probably not getting enough sleep. At least that is what the experts are saying. In fact, it is said that the average person will spend about 40% of their childhood asleep, but this is still not enough according to some experts.
Parenting is a tough job and there are infinite ways to succeed and fail. With so many ways to parent, how can you be sure that what your doing is best for your child? Here are 6 science-backed ways unsuccessful kids have in common.
This article has highlighted some of the major milestones your pediatrician will be tracking during the first visit. You can watch for these, too, so you know how your baby is growing and changing -- and tell your doc if you have any concerns.
The longest recorded case of hiccups lasted for 68 years … and was caused by a falling hog. While that level of severity is extremely uncommon, most of us are no stranger to an occasional case of the hiccups. But what causes these ‘hics’ in the first place? John Cameron takes us into the diaphragm to find out.
When your kids are waking too early, it can make them tired, cranky and just not very happy kids. I put our kids to bed early, at 7:00 and I want them to sleep the full 12 hour, so I teach them to naturally sleep in a little later.
HFCS is ubiquitous in the modern processed food supply. It's added to pizza sauce, salad dressings, ketchup and "whole wheat" breads. Did you know it's often contaminated with the toxic heavy metal mercury?
These are so lusciously creamy, sinfully rich-tasting – the kind of thing you put in your mouth and kind of can’t believe what’s happening. Vegan, almost raw, and full of whole food ingredients, they are also downright filling!
5-Ingredient Vegan Magical Fudgesicles
Makes 4 cups / 1 Liter / 10 fudgesicles
1) ½ cup / 75g unroasted, unsalted cashews
2) 1 14-oz can / 400ml full-fat coconut milk
3) 1 large, ripe avocado
4) 1 cup / 250g pitted, packed soft dates
5) ½ cup / 55g raw cacao powder (cocoa powder will also work)
1) a few pinches sea salt
2) vanilla (seeds from 1 pod, powder, or extract)
3) a few drops of food-grade essential oils (peppermint, orange, almond etc.)
4) finely diced fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango etc.)
5) a pinch of cayenne pepper
6) espresso powder
7) finely chopped toasted nuts (cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios etc.)
1) melted raw chocolate (recipe here) or melted dark chocolate
2) cacao nibs
3) finely chopped toasted nuts (cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios etc.)
4) dried fruit (I used raspberry on the ones pictured)
5) citrus zest (lemon, orange, lime)
1. Place cashews in lightly salted water and let soak for 4-8 hours (overnight is fine).
2. Drain the cashews and rinse well. Add to a blender (a high-speed blender is highly recommended) with the remaining ingredients (and any flavourings, if using) and blend on high until as smooth as possible. Add water only if necessary – you want to mixture to remain quite thick.
3. Spoon mixture in popsicle molds. Firmly knock the molds on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Insert a popsicle stick into each mold and place in the freezer until set – at least 6 hours. To remove popsicles, run the mold under hot water until you can easily pull a fudgesicle out.
4. If you want to decorate your fudgesicles, dip or drizzle them with melted chocolate and sprinkle with desired toppings. Eat immediately, or place back in the freezer to set until ready to enjoy.
It’s not just educational videos and gadgets.
They're naturally independent.
When our kids get fussy with food, our go-to is a PB & J. And if desperate times call for desperate measures, maybe we’ll cut them into star shapes to spare us all the headache of a mealtime tantrum. But one mom who is putting our sandies to shame is Laleh Mohmedi.