'Choking Game' Takes Life of 10-Year-Old
Kids are genius imitators. And you may need to watch closely what they are learning from Internet.
Kids are genius imitators. And you may need to watch closely what they are learning from Internet.
All parents know that sleep is important to growing kids, especially now that kids don’t seem to be getting enough of it, thanks (or no thanks) to tablets and smartphones. Where it gets quite confusing, however, is how many hours of it children really need as different health institutions and experts seem to be giving inconsistent info.
1. When you get home, ask, “What can I do to help?” Then for at least five minutes, actually do what she says. A lot of people ask this question and then do half of the job. So, the job is set the table, and they take out some plates. Or the job is diaper the baby, and they leave the wipes and the cream open and an empty bag of diapers laying around. Only five minutes is necessary for many household related tasks, or five minutes could make a good dent. At the very least, for five minutes your wife will see you fully engaged in a task, and not sitting doing nothing (which women hate), and that will magically make her happy and less stressed out.
2. Tell your wife what she does that you appreciate. For five whole minutes, tell her what she does that makes you happy and feel appreciative and grateful. Five minutes is a long time to talk, and you’ll see that this can make a real positive impact on your wife’s feelings. She may look at you with a smile like she did when you were dating. Or a more tired version of it at least.
3. Send your wife an email about how much you love her. No logistics, no plans, just a love letter. Women love this stuff. Most of them. If you try it and it doesn’t have any happiness impact, then next time try the next one...
4. Go on Amazon or Etsy and take five minutes to buy your wife a little surprise present. This doesn’t take very long.
5. When you want to have sex, look into your wife’s eyes and tell her how much you want her and how sexy she is. Use SPECIFICS. Do this for five minutes. This is longer than most men take, by a power of 1 million. Because, let’s face it, the usual is, “You’re so hot,” or no words at all, and then onto the kissing, if not the main event. Five minutes of saying how much you desire your wife and WHY is five minutes more than she may have heard in a while.
The clock is color-coded so that kids can easily follow along and know what task they should be working on. Having structure in the evenings helps develop an easier bedtime routine, which is essential for kids. Their brains are working overtime, so make things as easy as possible for them!
Tame your little trendsetter’s hair in less than five minutes with one of these fun hairstyles.
A Missouri mom has seen immense support online after she opened up about her battle with anxiety and depression and how it’s affected her as a mother.
Want to know how to make your bright little button even more brainy? These fun learning games and activities are expert-approved and a great way to develop a toddler’s memory and problem-solving skills.
risha Prabhu, a 15-year-old who gave a TEDxTeen talk about cyberbullying, created an app called ReThink that’s designed to get your kid to do the one thing you might have a spotty track record with: think before they do something stupid. Specifically, before they send a text or post a message to social media that might make another kid feel like crap.
For this new bullet on your DIY bucket list, you can thank Reddit user “radamshome,” a video game artist who just uploaded his entry in the Dad Of The Year awards to Imgur. It has a cozy reading nook, 12-volt lighting, a top sitting area, and enough room for him to cuddle up with his daughter for a bedtime story. If that makes you feel inadequate, wait until you look under the hood of this thing.
Watermelon season is back in full swing! When you go to the store to get your family their favorite summertime fruit, don’t struggle to figure out which melons are ripe. It can be difficult to tell with watermelon’s hard exterior, but there are tricks that instantly let you know if the watermelon is ready to eat. Watch the video below and learn these three tricks for yourself!
My husband and I thought we were done having kids after we had our first two. Then when our youngest was 3 and we had just celebrated chucking the diapers—surprise!—pregnant! We rolled with it, and now I can’t imagine life without our three kids.
Will strict boundaries lay foundation for rich life or cripple kids' prospects in new world?
You probably already know that there’s a lot children can learn from doing chores. Aside from growing up into adults who know how to run a home, children can also learn lifelong values from doing chores.
A common impairment with lifelong consequences turns out to be highly contagious between parent and child, a new study shows. The impairment? Math anxiety.
Means of transmission? Homework help.
Here are some common literacy practices in US schools (and everywhere) that research suggests are NOT OPTIMAL use of instructional time:
Today’s children come to school emotionally unavailable for learning, and there are many factors in our modern lifestyle that contribute to this. As we know, the brain is malleable. Through environment, we can make the brain “stronger” or make it “weaker”. I truly believe that, despite all our greatest intentions, we unfortunately remold our children’s brains in the wrong direction.
Here are my nine lessons about behavior management for preschool. I wish I had known all of these before ever stepping foot in a preschool classroom but instead learned many through experience.
Send the children to their rooms. Have a flashlight nearby. And lean in close. This is a scary story. It’s about a monster. Once upon a time my husband had to work 28 days of nights...
Grab your finest construction paper and show your kid the simple joy of folding, aiming, and hucking that origami bomber as far as it’ll fly.
We see "kid friendly" on a snack food and we think it hits all the nutritional sweet spots: not too much sugar or trans fats or garbage-y preservatives. Alas, we cannot believe everything we read. Although God knows, we keep trying!
Maybe you didn’t hear me. I really, really, really want it.
Toddlers can learn better, develop faster and become less susceptible to diseases by regularly eating a healthy diet. Here are some of the best superfoods for toddlers to optimize their growth and development.
Every kid deserves to know the fun that comes with going down a slide, and a team in Israel is trying to make that possible.
“Teaching the next generation coding is something that should be elevated to a strategical national importance,” said Wang Jiulin, the Xi’an-based creator of Kidscode.cn, a website that shares free information and courses. “Even today, the majority of programmers in China can only perform very basic-level tasks and there’s huge demand for top notch coders.”
Imaginary friends make an appearance, as do inquisitive animals, demanding monsters, and curious children. If you want touching or funny or unusual or classic, there’s something here to pique your interest.
If anyone can be called the boss in modern, anti-hierarchical parenthood, it’s the children
You may find yourself yelling at your toddler, especially when it seems effective in getting your child not to do something? You think it is harmless since yelling is not spanking and no physical harm is done to the child?
When we laugh off behaviors and compare them to different stages, we minimize the needs of the individual child.
SINGAPORE: One of the fundamental principles for Singapore is the harmony between our different races and religions, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Racial Harmony Day.
Here is a list of questions that your child could hopefully answer with more than a single word or grunt!
We've somehow decided that little kids can't understand these complex topics, or we want to delay exposing them to injustices as long as possible (even though not all children have the luxury of being shielded from injustice).
However, young children have a keen awareness of and passion for fairness. They demand right over wrong, just over unjust. And they notice differences without apology or discomfort.
Racial identity and attitudes begin to develop in children at a young age. Two- and three-year-olds become aware of the differences between boys and girls, may begin noticing obvious physical disabilities, become curious about skin color and hair color/texture, and may also be aware of ethnic identity.
5 Elementary Strategies
1. Use children's literature: There's a wealth of children's books (check out here: http://www.adl.org/education-outreach/books-matter/#.VwQW3_krLcs) that can be read aloud and independently to approach the topic of bias, diversity, and social justice.
2. Use the news media: Find topics and news stories that bring forth these themes and discuss them in the classroom -- like the nine-year-old boy who was banned from bringing his My Little Pony backpack to school because it was the source of bullying.
3. Teach anti-bias lessons: Social and emotional skill development lessons are the foundation, and then teachers can move to lessons on identity, differences, bias, and how bias and bullying can be addressed individually and institutionally.
4. Give familiar examples.
Take advantage of children's interest in books, TV shows, toys, and video games, and use them as opportunities to explore diversity, bias, and social justice.
5. Explore solutions: Re-think the concept of "helping others" to include discussions about the inequities that contribute to the problem and consider actions that can address it. For example, while it's useful to provide food to homeless people, we want to deepen the conversation to convey a social justice perspective and a wider lens with children. Therefore, discuss the stigma and stereotypes of homeless people, learn about unfair housing policies, and reflect on solutions that will reverse the problem in a lasting way and encourage students to take action.
Coming up with consequences for kids is not always easy, especially when you’re in the heat of the moment and you just need your kids to do what you ask! You need to find something that works and stick to it… if you want a behavior to change.
A college professor in Kentucky is getting a ton of online praise after a photo of him babysitting a student’s kids so she could take her final exam went viral.
Here’s one Father’s Day craft we know both Dad and your kids will love. Do you remember Shrinky Dinks from when you were little? They were so fun! Well, they make blank Shrinky Dink sheets now that you can use to create your own projects with.
Essential oils in natural remedies are commonly used to help manage symptoms of different health conditions. However, a poison center in Tennessee reports that the number of kids experiencing accidental poisoning from essential oils is increasing.
’If you want to raise a creative child, you have to teach them to think independently,’ says Adam Grant, teacher at Wharton School of Business, PA, a father of three, and author of a book of psychology. Bright Side brings you three basic principles from this extraordinary man that should be followed by every parent who wants their children to grow up to be creative and talented.
Use these to keep mosquitoes away (or stop down the itching if you manage to get a bug bite).
Are you ready to be committed for 5 minutes for this divine happiness?
Because it’s a paradox, isn’t it? In teaching our girls to take steps to prevent men from raping them, we are admitting on some level, that men view women as property, as sexual objects that they have a right to.
Preschool children expand their vocabulary and become more articulate at expressing their thoughts every day and if you do something more frequently in the very early years, it will help shape their character for years to come.
The in-laws get in after long travels for the holidays, and the first thing they want when they walk in the door are hugs and kisses from their darling grandbabies. Super sweet. Except when the kids aren't feeling like freely giving affection. What happens next?
Several times a month, Jessica Wen, a pediatrician specializing in liver diseases, has a teenager show up at her clinic at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia with an unexpected diagnosis: hepatitis C.
The 1-year-old was found covered in vomit in the backseat, state police said.
When tragedy strikes, most people think, I would love to help, but I’m just one person, what could I possibly do?
Well, three boys in New York City are showing the country just how much one person — not to mention three little people — can do with a generous heart and some hard work.
For obvious reasons, praising your kids can lead to a whole lot of good for your little one’s wellbeing. It boosts her confidence and self-esteem while keeping her motivated to do her best. It also shows your tot that you are aware of her struggles and triumphs.
Even for parents, it feels good for you to praise your progeny because they represent the best of you.
Why should kids compete? Is competition good for them? Is it necessary to get them prepared for their grown-up lives?
If you're this talented 2-year-old named Emerson, you just do it with a bit more style. Turns out her dad, Andrew, a cheerleading instructor, knows a few things about perfect cheer posture. The 2014 clip gained significant attention after an Instagram post, by the man's cousin, actress Brooklyn Decker.
The Centers for Disease Control tells us that in recent years there has been a jump in the percentage of young people diagnosed with Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder, commonly known as ADHD. Experts are suggesting one reason why more children are being diagnosed with ADHD & whether or not they really have it is the amount of time kids are forced to sit while they are in school