Toddler Discipline: 14 Secrets Only Teachers Know
The teacher tells you that your little one is very well-behaved in school. However, it is the direct opposite when she’s at home.
The teacher tells you that your little one is very well-behaved in school. However, it is the direct opposite when she’s at home.
Do people treat lost rich kids differently to poor children? A heartbreaking video filmed for Unicef found the answer is most definitely yes.
How can you tell if your child is being bullied? If my child comes to me and tells me he is being bullied, what is the best thing to do? So, what can I do to stop the bullying?
1. If you have digestive upset: An unidentified substance in tomatoes and tomato-based products can cause acid reflux. People with digestive upset could try eliminating tomatoes for two or three weeks to see if things feel better.
2. If you take a blood-thinning drug such as warfarin (Coumadin): It’s important to maintain steady blood levels of vitamin K (e.g. kale, spinach, turnip greens) —sudden increases can lessen the effects of the drug.
3. If you have a history of kidney stones: Limit oxalate-rich foods, such as rhubard, spinach, beets, and beet greens.
4. If you have gout: Watch your asparagus intake.
5. If you have certain allergies: Eating such foods as artichokes may provoke an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to ragweed allergens. People sensitive to latex may have an allergic reaction to avocados. Many people sensitive to aspirin may suffer an allergic reaction to radishes, which contain salicylates, compounds similar to the drugs’ active ingredients.
6. If you have an inflammatory GI disorder: Avoid or minimize your intake of cabbage, which contains bacteria that live naturally in the intestinal tract and cause gas and bloating.
7. If you're watching your weight: Be picky about eggplant-based dishes. Eggplants’ spongy texture soaks up fat. In fact, deep-fried eggplants soak up four times as much fat as French-fried potatoes.
8. If you have an underactive thyroid: Turnips contain two goitrogenic substances, progoitrin and gluconasturtin, which can interfere with the thyroid gland’s ability to make its hormones.
Since my wife is a teacher, I have spent countless hours listening to teachers tell their stories. This has caused me to recognize some things I would like to share with my fellow parents.
Theresa Kachindamoto, the senior chief in the Dedza District of Central Malawi, wields power over close to 900,000 people… and she’s not afraid to use her authority to help the women and girls in her district. In the past three years, she has annulled more than 850 child marriages, sent hundreds of young women back to school to continue their education, and made strides to abolish cleansing rituals that require girls as young as seven to go to sexual initiation camps...
"We have to admit, this isn't just for the kids," says their website. "What a refreshing opportunity it is to be offered a glimpse into someone else's head — especially the fantastically bizarre, unobstructed thoughts of a child. It’s an amazing opportunity."
These fabulous toys will keep your toddler busy for five minutes... a miracle we know!
Toys are not merely playthings. Toys form the building blocks for our child’s future. They teach our children about the world and about themselves. They send messages and communicate values...
Have a strong-willed child? You're lucky! Strong willed children can be a challenge when they’re young, but if sensitively parented, they become terrific teens and young adults. Self-motivated and inner-directed, they go after what they want and are almost impervious to peer pressure. As long as parents resist the impulse to "break their will," strong-willed kids often become leaders.
This minimal dollhouse is a great way for kids to learn about sustainability and how to recycle everyday materials into a fun and creative toy. As you make this project with your kids, it’s the perfect opportunity to discuss how self-sufficient homes operate relying on the sun, wind, earth, and water.
Why should kids compete? Is competition good for them? Is it necessary to get them prepared for their grown-up lives?
Getting information about the school day from a child who's attention is most likely focused on a snack, a little homework and, if the gods and their parents are kind, an hour or so of Mario Maker, often feels like an exercise in futility and espionage.
Any good parent wants their kids to stay out of trouble, do well in school, and go on to do awesome things as adults. And while there isn't a set recipe for raising successful children, psychology research has pointed to a handful of factors that predict success.
Unsurprisingly, much of it comes down to the parents. Here's what parents of successful kids have in common:
Taking care of a pet has been shown to help children develop empathy and compassion for animals, people and themselves. But how can you tell if your child is ready for the responsibility of caring for a pet?
The first rule of having a toddler is that they are your boss. You cannot control a toddler, a toddler controls you. The sooner you realise that, the better. A toddler does not care whether you like to have a tidy kitchen, or snot-free clothes. - See more at: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/toddler/10-things-make-peace-with-a-toddler/
They're naturally independent.
1. If you’ve ever wondered why their bread tastes so perfect, there’s your answer. It’s chemically engineered to taste a certain way, unlike healthy breads that contain far less science-produced ingredients.
2. Subway is just as unhealthy as McDonald’s.
3. People stop paying attention to what they’re eating when they assume they’re making a healthy choice. This leads to “treating” oneself by picking up higher calorie drinks and desserts.
The other day, I reached out to a friend I hadn't spoken to in two years. "Where have you been, Jennifer? What have you been up to?" she asked. I thought about these questions long and hard. Physically, I had been in Colorado, and I had been working on my own business, but I couldn't tell her what I'd been doing. The truth was, the last year had been total, sleep-deprived blur.
From Jan 1 to May 21 there have been a total of 50 reported measles cases, about three times more than the 17 cases in 2015 during the same period, MOH says.
Delay tactics. Calling out in the middle of the night. Ending up in your bed before daybreak. If this describes your toddler’s sleep habits, and you’re not happy with your family’s quality of sleep, it might be time for some sleep training.
If someone asked you to spell the word 'eleemosynary', do you think you'd be able to? Honestly, I had never even heard of this tongue-twister before. But Rhea, a child wonder aged 10, not only spelled it correctly but also clinched the title of 'Child Genius 2016' in the UK. She is now officially the brightest kid in the kingdom.
A Missouri mom has seen immense support online after she opened up about her battle with anxiety and depression and how it’s affected her as a mother.
During this time, scratchy throat, red eyes, and breathing problems are aplenty, while those with asthma can only suffer in silence. So instead of blaming the neighbouring countries, let’s read these crucial tips to survive these health-challenging days.
My kids have this really annoying habit of popping out of their rooms 15 times after they’re tucked in. They also have this uncanny ability to know exactly when I need some personal space, because that’s when they choose to be extra cuddly and clingy. They bicker with each other, and change their minds about what they want for lunch after I’ve made the previously requested meal. In other words, they are kids and they do a lot of those things kids do that drive parents absolutely bonkers.
Parents now need to bribe children in a bid to make them read at bedtime rather than use iphones and other gadgets, a new survey has revealed.
If parents start to encourage empathetic habits early, there’s still hope of them putting human kindness ahead of #kindness.
Children's immune systems are vulnerable to diseases and viruses. From chickenpox to measles to food allergies, parents are always worried and are constantly looking out for the safety of their kids. How could this be remedied? Some experts think exposing children to dirt can actually strengthen their immune systems, as opposed to what parents believe.
A watermelon can only be as good as the one you choose from the market. You may think that choosing a great watermelon is up to chance, but there are actually several ways to spot the perfect watermelon.
Biles, a 19-year-old gymnast for Team U.S.A., is already the most decorated gold medalist in world championship gymnastics history. In Rio, she is on the fast track to becoming the best in the world, again, being an odds-on favorite to bring home as many as five gold medals.
Over 350 kids receive basketball pointers in first Jr NBA S'pore open clinic; 1,400 more to benefit
"When people are bullied, especially children, they feel horrible inside and sometimes don't show or tell others how they are feeling."
Children get cuts, scrapes and bruises. Curious and brave, kids are constantly playing and exploring. It’s part of growing up. But playtime that seems harmless can turn into something much more serious within seconds.
Using laser pointers to play pretend rocket ships or make the family pet run back and forth looks like fun. But an eight-year-old boy’s experience with laser pointers is proof of the serious damage they can cause. Johnny Marshall was at his sister’s school fair when he saw a laser pen at one of the vendor booths. After some begging and pleading, his parents gave in and bought him the toy. Johnny was playing with his new toy at home when he shone it into his eyes out of curiosity — something that many children might do. Within a quarter of a second, he was left with a thermal burn and permanent damage to his retina.
The only disadvantage children of single parents face is the knowledge that their mum is being judged.
I’m not going to sugar coat this for you. I struggled horribly with my 2-year-old not listening. As a mom who researches things like how to make kids listen and how to be a positive parent to a strong willed child, the twos about did me in.
Obviously, many people don't know two amazing facts about him. First, Matthew is aware that his appearance is different and accepts the way he is. He is extremely happy and energetic. Second, with a love of football, he has ambition to play for Real Madrid or Manchester United, but he is yet struggling to decide which team to approach!
There are many reasons why a child wets the bed, and there are many myths floating around in the world about bedwetting. These myths can be very detrimental to your night-time toilet training journey, and you should avoid doing these things. Here, we debunk some of the most common of those myths so parents can get a firm, real grasp of why children wet the bed, and how to help them stop.
Some kids take the philosophy of being wrong and strong very seriously, and it often leads to amazing results. Here are some of the moments kids had no clue what to do with their homework or exams, but didn't let that keep them from going down in a fireball of glory.
If anyone can be called the boss in modern, anti-hierarchical parenthood, it’s the children
Even preschoolers nowadays are being sucked in the media revolution and this is keeping them from communicating with their parents while using media, a new study from the University of Michigan has revealed.
Hacks – they are a truly beautiful thing. They are those small tweaks that can make your life a whole lot easier. They are those things you see on Pinterest that make you say – “Why didn’t I ever think of that?”
Susan* bought her 6-year-old son John an iPad when he was in first grade. “I thought, ‘Why not let him get a jump on things?’ ” she told me during a therapy session. John’s school had begun using the devices with younger and younger grades — and his technology teacher had raved about their educational benefits — so Susan wanted to do what was best for her sandy-haired boy who loved reading and playing baseball.
This is a story about a sock. It was an ordinary white toddler sock that lay abandoned right in the middle of an otherwise cleared-off set of stairs. I happened to see this sock in the middle of the stairs the morning before I was leaving for a few days. Being a mom, I went to pick it up.
Want to know how to make your bright little button even more brainy? These fun learning games and activities are expert-approved and a great way to develop a toddler’s memory and problem-solving skills.
Wouldn't it be great for restaurants to hold a special hour of dining for special needs kids? A mom from South Florida is hoping that more restaurants would do this after her experience with her special needs child.
1. When you get home, ask, “What can I do to help?” Then for at least five minutes, actually do what she says. A lot of people ask this question and then do half of the job. So, the job is set the table, and they take out some plates. Or the job is diaper the baby, and they leave the wipes and the cream open and an empty bag of diapers laying around. Only five minutes is necessary for many household related tasks, or five minutes could make a good dent. At the very least, for five minutes your wife will see you fully engaged in a task, and not sitting doing nothing (which women hate), and that will magically make her happy and less stressed out.
2. Tell your wife what she does that you appreciate. For five whole minutes, tell her what she does that makes you happy and feel appreciative and grateful. Five minutes is a long time to talk, and you’ll see that this can make a real positive impact on your wife’s feelings. She may look at you with a smile like she did when you were dating. Or a more tired version of it at least.
3. Send your wife an email about how much you love her. No logistics, no plans, just a love letter. Women love this stuff. Most of them. If you try it and it doesn’t have any happiness impact, then next time try the next one...
4. Go on Amazon or Etsy and take five minutes to buy your wife a little surprise present. This doesn’t take very long.
5. When you want to have sex, look into your wife’s eyes and tell her how much you want her and how sexy she is. Use SPECIFICS. Do this for five minutes. This is longer than most men take, by a power of 1 million. Because, let’s face it, the usual is, “You’re so hot,” or no words at all, and then onto the kissing, if not the main event. Five minutes of saying how much you desire your wife and WHY is five minutes more than she may have heard in a while.