Find out why apologizing for your mistakes makes you a more effective parent
Use these to keep mosquitoes away (or stop down the itching if you manage to get a bug bite).
During pre-school and Kindergarten, the brain grows steadily, increasing from seventy percent to ninety percent of its eventual adult weight. In addition to gains in size, the brain undergoes considerable reshaping and refining. Among these modifications are profound changes in the frontal lobes-areas of the brain devoted to regulating thought and action. The frontal lobes govern the inhibition of impulse, orderly memory, and the integration of information- capacities that facilitate reasoning and problem solving. All these skills improve considerably in kindergarten children.
Today, we see increasing number of children with autism. So what is it that we need to know about it?
Among the signs: feeling sad or withdrawn for two weeks or more may indicate depression, and intense fears or worries that get in the way of daily activities may indicate an anxiety disorder.
Synchronize your watches, grab your walkie talkies and put on your thinking caps!
1. When you get home, ask, “What can I do to help?” Then for at least five minutes, actually do what she says. A lot of people ask this question and then do half of the job. So, the job is set the table, and they take out some plates. Or the job is diaper the baby, and they leave the wipes and the cream open and an empty bag of diapers laying around. Only five minutes is necessary for many household related tasks, or five minutes could make a good dent. At the very least, for five minutes your wife will see you fully engaged in a task, and not sitting doing nothing (which women hate), and that will magically make her happy and less stressed out.
2. Tell your wife what she does that you appreciate. For five whole minutes, tell her what she does that makes you happy and feel appreciative and grateful. Five minutes is a long time to talk, and you’ll see that this can make a real positive impact on your wife’s feelings. She may look at you with a smile like she did when you were dating. Or a more tired version of it at least.
3. Send your wife an email about how much you love her. No logistics, no plans, just a love letter. Women love this stuff. Most of them. If you try it and it doesn’t have any happiness impact, then next time try the next one...
4. Go on Amazon or Etsy and take five minutes to buy your wife a little surprise present. This doesn’t take very long.
5. When you want to have sex, look into your wife’s eyes and tell her how much you want her and how sexy she is. Use SPECIFICS. Do this for five minutes. This is longer than most men take, by a power of 1 million. Because, let’s face it, the usual is, “You’re so hot,” or no words at all, and then onto the kissing, if not the main event. Five minutes of saying how much you desire your wife and WHY is five minutes more than she may have heard in a while.
Their photo series “Pucker,” is what happens when life gave these kids lemons.
As spellers from across the country and around the globe gather to take part in the annual Scripps National Spelling Bee, let’s try to settle a basic question: Where does the bee in “spelling bee” come from?
Are your kids crazy about bugs? We are fans of all things ladybug! We love to see them in our garden eating harmful pests, plus I hear it’s good luck if one lands on you! Shared below is an adorable Cupcake Liner Ladybug Craft, perfect for kids of all ages.
I know you think I wear yoga pants and athletic T-shirts because I spend my days doing pilates while my kids practice Mozart on their harmonicas. But, I’m here to tell you, I wear them because they’re stretchy...
Is your child an artist? Even if they don’t become famous or make art a part of their profession some day, it’s so important to encourage creativity in young children. One way to do that is to let them know that you value the art they are making by placing it in a DIY felt frame.
We don’t always appreciate it when our children begin to cry, but what they are actually doing is making use of the body’s innate recovery system. When we get hurt, physically or emotionally, instead of storing it all up in our bodies as tension, we can make use of crying, laughter, raging or trembling. This is how the body processes and releases feelings. Most of us don’t do this often, having being told “Don’t cry” since we were small, but our children still have their recovery system intact.
Room sharing tips can be so helpful to second-time mothers. When I was pregnant with my second son I worried about how sibling room sharing would go. I looked all over the internet for reassurance that my baby and my preschooler would be fine sharing a room. We live in a very small home and while baby would be staying in our room at first, the two boys would have to bunk together eventually.
I am a Boy Mom.
I remember thinking during the gender ultrasound of my second baby that it was certainly a girl (after all, I always dreamed of having one of both genders), and then the technician said, “It’s a boy!”.
Strangely enough, my first thought was “I get to be the Mom of 2 BOYS!!” I was so excited. I love my oldest son, and was so excited to have another boy to love.
As much as I love little boys, there are some things that are unique to raising them.
Yes, there is penis talk, fart jokes, and dirt but there’s so much more about boys that every expecting Boy Mom needs to know.
We’ve put together 35 of the BEST Jack o Lantern Patterns for Halloween. These free pumpkin carving templates are sure to get you in a spooky mood for Halloween. You and your kids will have fun browsing through all of these pumpkin templates and choosing your very own to trace and carve this season.
These fabulous toys will keep your toddler busy for five minutes... a miracle we know!
It’s no secret that mom and dad can sometimes differ in their parenting techniques. If mothers know instinctively how to look after children, then fathers can find 1,001 ways to keep the baby (and themselves) entertained. Here are just some of their ideas.
It isn't uncommon for a baby to be born with a few wisps of hair, but that requires little maintenance. So, what do you do when your newborn enters the world with a full head of hair? Why, you embrace it, of course - like these proud parents did!
According to the EWG’s report, these are the 7 worst sunscreens for kids:
1. Banana Boat Kids Max Protect & Play Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
2. Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick, Wacky Foam and Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 55
3. CVS Baby Sunstick Sunscreen and Spray, SPF 55
4. Equate Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
5. Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray and Stick products, SPF 70
6. Up & Up Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
7. Hampton Sun Continuous Mist Sunscreen for Kids, SPF 70
The hormone imbalance that underlies polycystic ovary syndrome often makes women miserable. Here are PCOS symptoms to know.
Tips to prevent common summer diseases among kids:
1. Ensure that your child drinks liquids from time to time so that he doesn’t get dehydrated. Fresh fruit juices are preferable to colas and other packaged drinks. It would help if he carried a few of his favorite beverages with him.
2. You and your child should maintain the highest level of hygiene and cleanliness at home and wherever else you might go.
3. Put him on a diet of rich in fibers, water-based fruits like water melon, minerals and vegetables.
4. Do not give him cut veggies and fruits or street food that may be spicy, cooked a long time ago, spicy and oily.
5. Dress your child in loose and lightweight cottons. Ensure that he wears a cap when he’s outdoors and uses sunscreen on the exposed parts of his body.
6. Keep him indoors during the hottest parts of the day, i.e. 10am to 2pm.
7. Keep him out of crowded areas and away from the direct glare of the sun.
For the longest time, I couldn’t figure out how to make kids listen. I tried following directions activities and listening activities for kids. Yet, there was a huge component I was always missing: helpful phrases that build connection.
Kids have fragile brains. If 10 year-old Jimmy bashes his head against concrete, he’ll suffer greater injury than his 35 year-old dad would under the same conditions.
Most of us instinctively know that much. What we often ignore, though, is the fact that kids brains are not only physically more fragile but mentally as well. Psychologists liken a child’s brain to soft, impressionable play-doh. Harsh words that Jimmy’s dad could shrug off might stay with his son for years.
There are tons of benefits to being born into a famous family, most of which have to do with money. But one benefit that you might not think of right away is the looks. These kids look just like their famous parents, and that's a good thing.
PowerToFly president Katharine Zaleski admits: “I didn’t realize how horrible I’d been—until I had a child of my own.”
If you think your toddler is too young to understand what you’re saying, think again. Find out what he actually picks up from your words and actions.
What is it like to raise a child who's different from you in some fundamental way (like a prodigy, or a differently abled kid, or a criminal)? In this quietly moving talk, writer Andrew Solomon shares what he learned from talking to dozens of parents — asking them: What's the line between unconditional love and unconditional acceptance?
“Children feel under pressure to have this perfect life that it looks like everyone else is having according to Instagram and that’s really hard to deal with”
A new study is sure to make some parents giddy as it reveals a simple solution to treat kids with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). There is no more need for prescribed medication, just a change of lifestyle would be able to solve the child's behavioral and attention problems.
How can we teach our child gratitude? This article suggests child learn to be thankful through what he sees. The answer is simple:
Show them what it looks like. Thank people around you and appreciate what is given to you.
Ever since I took on the job of SAHM, I’ve tried my best to save our family money while also continuing to cook healthy(-ish) meals at home. I’ve always enjoyed cooking and coming up with new meals for Mr. Oyster and me to eat – but my excitement for it has changed a bit since having to juggle 1 or 2 children while cooking and also cooking things that they won’t eat. I know it’s a common parenting challenge, but it’s one that’s definitely taken away some of my enjoyment of cooking.
Once upon a time, babies’ first smiles would often be dismissed as “probably just gas.”
Now, scientists know better.
Starting nearly from birth, infants’ ethereal grins provide a window into their social and emotional development, researchers say. And the responses those enchanting and goofy expressions elicit can help program babies’ brains for a lifetime of social interactions.
You can use these 4 steps to gently wean your baby or toddler away from co-sleeping, and towards sleeping in his or her own bed (and hopefully sleeping through the night!)...
If a picture is really worth a thousand words, then you read the equivalent of War & Peace in board books every night. It’s no secret that kids go for big, bright, visual stories. And, fortunately for you, these award-winning picture books are 99 percent word-free and a lot more fun than Tolstoy.
It also provides a great opportunity for you to put your creative stamp on things. Let the illustrators provide the brilliant artwork, universal themes, and general plot — you fill in the details. Of course, even toddlers who can barely say their ABCs know that you’re improvising most of it — but at least you’re enthusiastic.
These are so lusciously creamy, sinfully rich-tasting – the kind of thing you put in your mouth and kind of can’t believe what’s happening. Vegan, almost raw, and full of whole food ingredients, they are also downright filling!
5-Ingredient Vegan Magical Fudgesicles
Makes 4 cups / 1 Liter / 10 fudgesicles
1) ½ cup / 75g unroasted, unsalted cashews
2) 1 14-oz can / 400ml full-fat coconut milk
3) 1 large, ripe avocado
4) 1 cup / 250g pitted, packed soft dates
5) ½ cup / 55g raw cacao powder (cocoa powder will also work)
1) a few pinches sea salt
2) vanilla (seeds from 1 pod, powder, or extract)
3) a few drops of food-grade essential oils (peppermint, orange, almond etc.)
4) finely diced fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango etc.)
5) a pinch of cayenne pepper
6) espresso powder
7) finely chopped toasted nuts (cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios etc.)
1) melted raw chocolate (recipe here) or melted dark chocolate
2) cacao nibs
3) finely chopped toasted nuts (cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios etc.)
4) dried fruit (I used raspberry on the ones pictured)
5) citrus zest (lemon, orange, lime)
1. Place cashews in lightly salted water and let soak for 4-8 hours (overnight is fine).
2. Drain the cashews and rinse well. Add to a blender (a high-speed blender is highly recommended) with the remaining ingredients (and any flavourings, if using) and blend on high until as smooth as possible. Add water only if necessary – you want to mixture to remain quite thick.
3. Spoon mixture in popsicle molds. Firmly knock the molds on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Insert a popsicle stick into each mold and place in the freezer until set – at least 6 hours. To remove popsicles, run the mold under hot water until you can easily pull a fudgesicle out.
4. If you want to decorate your fudgesicles, dip or drizzle them with melted chocolate and sprinkle with desired toppings. Eat immediately, or place back in the freezer to set until ready to enjoy.
It’s June Holidays! While it’s a great time to kick back and relax, it’s also an excellent period to explore your kid’s interest and take advantage of the multitude of holiday programmes and activities. We’ve shortlisted 13 must-check-out-programs for you!
The kids who tend to do well often exhibit some important skills before entering college. Perhaps surprisingly, these skills aren't incredibly sophisticated. In fact, they are skills we expect preschoolers to master.
If you're this talented 2-year-old named Emerson, you just do it with a bit more style. Turns out her dad, Andrew, a cheerleading instructor, knows a few things about perfect cheer posture. The 2014 clip gained significant attention after an Instagram post, by the man's cousin, actress Brooklyn Decker.
SINGAPORE: Malay-Muslim community leaders support an idea to make the Asatizah Recognition Scheme (ARS) compulsory for all Islamic religious teachers. The decade-old scheme recognises teachers and scholars who meet the minimum standards of qualification to preach and teach Islamic religious knowledge.
Finding Dory is set to be a huge draw because it works by cleverly and subtly tapping into our love of nostalgia. It is a movie about a forgetful blue fish desperate to find her long-lost parents...
Flu and the common cold are different illnesses, although they may share some symptoms. You tend to feel much worse with flu, often being confined to bed for several days, whereas a cold will usually just make you feel under the weather.
To mark the end of Nutrition Month, stories on the importance of healthy eating habits and taking care of one’s body were the focus of Saturday morning’s Inquirer Read-Along session held at the newspaper’s main office in Makati
We all cringe at the parent on the sidelines of the sports field screaming at their child, so invested in their success that you’d think it was their own.
We shake our heads at the stage mums on TV pushing crying children to perform and trying to convince us that it’s all for their child, not them.
We are horrified at the parents who reject their children because of their sexuality.
As the environmental exposures and chemical burden on our bodies has risen, so have rates of diseases, particularly those that impact kids, including asthma, childhood cancers, autism, and ADHD. The questions arise: What are the toxins? Where can we find them? How dangerous are they? Most importantly, how can we reduce, if not remove, them?