ActiveSG: Passing skills to kids
Over 350 kids receive basketball pointers in first Jr NBA S'pore open clinic; 1,400 more to benefit
Over 350 kids receive basketball pointers in first Jr NBA S'pore open clinic; 1,400 more to benefit
It starts from carpet: 200,000 bacteria...PER SQUARE INCH.
Like how to keep 'em optimistic when the world tries to crush their dreams
No matter what their culture, or where they live, or whether they have toys, kids will always find ways to have fun. And happy childhood moments captured on camera make for truly magical photos.
Your child may read every book in the world but if he/she doesn't understand a word, it only accounts for wasted time you could have used for a more productive activity. For you, we simplified it down to five tips so you can follow through easily and apply it to your child rearing.
1. Know The Way Your Kid Thinks.
2. Teach Your Child The Art Of Conversation.
3. Give Your Kid Books That He/She Will Understand.
4. Know The Content That Peaks Your Kid's Interest.
5. Let Your Kid's Mind Float Away Every Once In A While.
What is the right way of parenting? Protecting our child from hardships? Not caring at all so that they can survive on their own?
Adequate magnesium levels are crucial for brain, cardiac and muscle function!!
1. Get the timing right: Make your tot’s appointment for a time when they’re alert and rested.
2. Parent by example: Mums and dads have the greatest influence on their tyke’s dental health. Your child will pick up on your anxiety, so focus on staying cool, calm, collected and confident.
3. No surprises: Bambinos handle dental procedures best when their parents know what to expect and have prepared them for the experience.
4. Look on the bright side: Answer your tot’s questions in a positive way. For example, use words like ‘healthy’ instead of ‘hurt’ and definitely steer clear of scary dental anecdotes!
5. Come prepared: Take along some questions about your child’s oral health.
6. Over to them! When the big day arrives, give your mini-mite some control over their dental visit, such as choosing their own ‘tooth doctor outfit’. Then it’s time to climb into the exciting dentist’s chair and let the check-up begin!
"When people are bullied, especially children, they feel horrible inside and sometimes don't show or tell others how they are feeling."
When he heard the kid screaming in the middle of a scene he knew exactly what was going on…
How To Potty Train Your Little One According To Their Personality
Does your child get anxious or angry often or frustrated easily? In the moment it’s often best to err on the side of support rather than challenging or giving logic and reason as an answer to their emotion. It’s often helpful to acknowledge the emotion and provide empathy and give time and space to let a child calm down.
Toddlers are terrible listeners. This is a fact. Part of it is because they aren’t developmentally ready to internalize things you’re telling them. That makes it necessary to repeat yourself a bajillion times. Which is also why you don’t see a lot of toddlers who are talk-therapists. And why you never feel better when you’re telling them about your anxiety over all those TPS reports at work.
Negotiating with kids is usually a challenging process. Be it about watching TV, playing in the park, sleeping on time, studying, eating food, dressing up or spending time on the mobile/computer. Although negotiating, sounds like an ‘adult’ word, we are still doing it, whether we like it or not.
Baby names take on new meaning when you know the story behind them.
Suggested apps that are both engaging and educational
Think your home is baby-proofed? Watch this short video for a look at common safety hazards many parents overlook.
One day, when my oldest daughter was not quite 2, she wouldn’t sit still to let me change her diaper. Squirrelly and writhing, she made a game out of staying half naked. She wasn’t fussing about it or anything — in fact, she was giggling maniacally.
1. When you get home, ask, “What can I do to help?” Then for at least five minutes, actually do what she says. A lot of people ask this question and then do half of the job. So, the job is set the table, and they take out some plates. Or the job is diaper the baby, and they leave the wipes and the cream open and an empty bag of diapers laying around. Only five minutes is necessary for many household related tasks, or five minutes could make a good dent. At the very least, for five minutes your wife will see you fully engaged in a task, and not sitting doing nothing (which women hate), and that will magically make her happy and less stressed out.
2. Tell your wife what she does that you appreciate. For five whole minutes, tell her what she does that makes you happy and feel appreciative and grateful. Five minutes is a long time to talk, and you’ll see that this can make a real positive impact on your wife’s feelings. She may look at you with a smile like she did when you were dating. Or a more tired version of it at least.
3. Send your wife an email about how much you love her. No logistics, no plans, just a love letter. Women love this stuff. Most of them. If you try it and it doesn’t have any happiness impact, then next time try the next one...
4. Go on Amazon or Etsy and take five minutes to buy your wife a little surprise present. This doesn’t take very long.
5. When you want to have sex, look into your wife’s eyes and tell her how much you want her and how sexy she is. Use SPECIFICS. Do this for five minutes. This is longer than most men take, by a power of 1 million. Because, let’s face it, the usual is, “You’re so hot,” or no words at all, and then onto the kissing, if not the main event. Five minutes of saying how much you desire your wife and WHY is five minutes more than she may have heard in a while.
Because it’s a paradox, isn’t it? In teaching our girls to take steps to prevent men from raping them, we are admitting on some level, that men view women as property, as sexual objects that they have a right to.
One question we’ve always struggled with is what time we should get our little ones to bed. Go to bed too early, and they goof off, get hyper and never get to sleep. Go to bed too late, and we’ve got grumpy tired kids who can barely make it through the day...
With software becoming the language of our world, the demand for coding courses for kids are rising.
Obviously, many people don't know two amazing facts about him. First, Matthew is aware that his appearance is different and accepts the way he is. He is extremely happy and energetic. Second, with a love of football, he has ambition to play for Real Madrid or Manchester United, but he is yet struggling to decide which team to approach!
Taking care of a pet has been shown to help children develop empathy and compassion for animals, people and themselves. But how can you tell if your child is ready for the responsibility of caring for a pet?
What do you think makes children unhappy? A recent study has shown that it is no longer unsatisfying toys or snacks. Rather, online pressure is increasingly hunting the children from early age. Parental guidance becomes crucial to instill in your child healthy self-image. This article lists which apps to blacklist, which to closely monitor, and, the most important of all, how to communicate without crossing the line.
I took this picture because initially I thought it was funny. I was going to send it to my husband to show what our mischievous little three-year-old was up to. However, The moment she told me what she was doing I broke down. She was practicing for a lockdown drill at her preschool and what you should do if you are stuck in a bathroom. At that moment all innocense of what I thought my three-year-old possessed was gone.
All parents know that sleep is important to growing kids, especially now that kids don’t seem to be getting enough of it, thanks (or no thanks) to tablets and smartphones. Where it gets quite confusing, however, is how many hours of it children really need as different health institutions and experts seem to be giving inconsistent info.
Recently, Sean took his son to grab dinner at a Chinese restaurant. He couldn’t help but notice that there was something oddly familiar about their unassuming waitress. “Over small talk and water refills, I got the sense that this single mom didn’t want to be there, but had to be there and she was doing her best to smile,” Sean wrote on Facebook. “It tore my heart out.”
A common impairment with lifelong consequences turns out to be highly contagious between parent and child, a new study shows. The impairment? Math anxiety.
Means of transmission? Homework help.
For this new bullet on your DIY bucket list, you can thank Reddit user “radamshome,” a video game artist who just uploaded his entry in the Dad Of The Year awards to Imgur. It has a cozy reading nook, 12-volt lighting, a top sitting area, and enough room for him to cuddle up with his daughter for a bedtime story. If that makes you feel inadequate, wait until you look under the hood of this thing.
The little pocket on your jeans. The little hole in your pen cap. They're not just there for show.
Hand-held screens might delay a child’s ability to form words, based on new research being presented this week at the annual Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in San Francisco. This preliminary study is the first to show how mobile devices impact speech development in children, raising a question that fills the minds of many parents: How much time should my child spend with a mobile device?
Parenting a toddler while I was pregnant was not as simple as I thought it would be.
I imagined in that last trimester as my stomach housed a whole human, that I'd be able to sit on the couch and rest while instructing my two-year-old how to engineer towers with blocks.
Cooking with kid is a time-efficient strategy -- by playing with kids, you get your dinner ready. And these recipes are amazing as they allow you and your kids a roomful of space for freedom and creativity.
Preschool children expand their vocabulary and become more articulate at expressing their thoughts every day and if you do something more frequently in the very early years, it will help shape their character for years to come.
Send the children to their rooms. Have a flashlight nearby. And lean in close. This is a scary story. It’s about a monster. Once upon a time my husband had to work 28 days of nights...
You may have read or heard about the study debunking the five-second rule. It said that no matter how fast you pick up food that falls on the floor, you will pick up bacteria with it.
A fourth grade girl sits in my office, tears in her eyes. She had a really hard week. She struggles with anxiety and inattention in the classroom, and that makes learning difficult on a good week. That wasn’t what brought her tears, though. She can cope with the mixed emotions that go hand-in-hand with learning problems. What made an average week terrible for this little girl was peer conflict.
Grab your finest construction paper and show your kid the simple joy of folding, aiming, and hucking that origami bomber as far as it’ll fly.
If you think your toddler is too young to understand what you’re saying, think again. Find out what he actually picks up from your words and actions.
This sweet video of little boy sneaking into neighbor's garage to hug dog went viral as the owner went on searching for "the sweet little kid" 😍😍
"Why can't a superhero, builder or dino explorer also be a nurturer?"
They're naturally independent.
“Oh my god!” the mother squealed. “Baby, are you OK? Did that hurt? What hurts, baby? What hurts?” The little girl commenced sobbing as what I deemed a nice save turned into a tragedy warranting a call to 911.
All experienced cooks do absolutely great in the kitchen with the help of some simple tricks. These tricks will make you a real home chef while making food storage and cleaning much easier.
The pupils illustrated all sorts of inventive doodles on the skirt: rainbows and kites, butterflies and bugs, and even a sock monkey makes an appearance!
Here is a list of questions that your child could hopefully answer with more than a single word or grunt!