9 Reasons Why Single Moms Are Awesome
They're naturally independent.
They're naturally independent.
The 1-year-old was found covered in vomit in the backseat, state police said.
It can be exhausting when your toddler wakes up many times a night, needing you to cuddle her or sleep in her bed. You hear stories about babies sleeping all night, so when see that your two year old is waking 3 and 4 times a night, you realize that you are ready for a solution.
Suggested apps that are both engaging and educational
Educators face challenges, funding issues, and problems beyond their control. But for each student and family, it’s all about the relationship they will have with their child's teacher.
Dr. Phil explains why he believes it’s so important for children to have relationships with extended family, such as grandparents.
In today’s society, we are concerned with obesity in children but there are also children who are underweight and would benefit from eating more. Some parents may be tempted to feed their children with high calorie foods to boost the child’s weight, but eating wisely is important as children have small stomachs and should consume calories that are of good nutrition. Here are 12 healthy foods that can help young children to gain weight!
Storm-Manea Ellyatt is calling bull on the facade of parenthood displayed on social media. Instead of posting a highlight reel of her life, she’s getting real about the daily struggles she faces as a mother — and she invites everyone to join her.
“All those cute bonds ads, miniature Nike shoes, adorable baby shower gifts, baby spam on Instagram, squad dates with your mum posse and those god damn laceylaners lied to me,” she wrote on Thursday, listing her failed expectations about parenting based on how it’s conveyed by ads, TV and online.
“Not once did I see an ad with a mum locked in her cupboard crying in her leaked stained pjs from 3 days ago, covered in sweat and vomit, praying to every god imaginable for the strength and patience to go back to the s**tshow that is now their life,” she wrote. “The once calm, poised, patient goddess, who could sling cocktials, swear with sailors and dance uninhibited until tomorrow afternoon, can bearly hold a conversation, hold her eyes open or the tears back from this new found ‘bliss.’”
Many children hate to eat vegetables but almost all children love superheroes. Combining the two apparently yields good results for those of you who aim best in your children's nutrition. A research has found that presenting vegetables as cartoon superheroes get children encouraged to eat vegetables.
There are some things I used to do before I had kids that are impossible now that I have three. Remember the things you used to dare try because you had silence, the time, and the patience — back when these things weren’t considered luxuries like they are to so many of us now because we have little hellions running around ruining everything they touch? Here is a list of 10 things that are ill-advised once you start breeding. Believe me, I have tried them all.
A Hemet family is trying to raise money to replace their car — the only way to get their grandma to the hospital for much-needed cancer treatments
From braids to buns, we are so in love with these adorable hairstyles for girls
I must confess that there’s something seriously appealing about the stay-at-home-Dad. Whenever I see a father holding his newborn, or comforting his distressed child (be it a little knight of queen), I get all dreamy. To even things up, on the not so dreamy side, comes my ghastly admission that witnessing a Daddy deal with the old –tyrannical- toddler-meltdown, also comes with a touch of ‘nice.’
Baby names take on new meaning when you know the story behind them.
Susan* bought her 6-year-old son John an iPad when he was in first grade. “I thought, ‘Why not let him get a jump on things?’ ” she told me during a therapy session. John’s school had begun using the devices with younger and younger grades — and his technology teacher had raved about their educational benefits — so Susan wanted to do what was best for her sandy-haired boy who loved reading and playing baseball.
About 100 pre-schoolers spent their Saturday afternoon at the weekend colouring at Suntec City Convention Centre in celebration of World Kids Colouring Day. The event, organised in Singapore for the ninth year by writing products manufacturer Staedtler, saw the children colouring pictures on the theme of "funny animals".
1. When you get home, ask, “What can I do to help?” Then for at least five minutes, actually do what she says. A lot of people ask this question and then do half of the job. So, the job is set the table, and they take out some plates. Or the job is diaper the baby, and they leave the wipes and the cream open and an empty bag of diapers laying around. Only five minutes is necessary for many household related tasks, or five minutes could make a good dent. At the very least, for five minutes your wife will see you fully engaged in a task, and not sitting doing nothing (which women hate), and that will magically make her happy and less stressed out.
2. Tell your wife what she does that you appreciate. For five whole minutes, tell her what she does that makes you happy and feel appreciative and grateful. Five minutes is a long time to talk, and you’ll see that this can make a real positive impact on your wife’s feelings. She may look at you with a smile like she did when you were dating. Or a more tired version of it at least.
3. Send your wife an email about how much you love her. No logistics, no plans, just a love letter. Women love this stuff. Most of them. If you try it and it doesn’t have any happiness impact, then next time try the next one...
4. Go on Amazon or Etsy and take five minutes to buy your wife a little surprise present. This doesn’t take very long.
5. When you want to have sex, look into your wife’s eyes and tell her how much you want her and how sexy she is. Use SPECIFICS. Do this for five minutes. This is longer than most men take, by a power of 1 million. Because, let’s face it, the usual is, “You’re so hot,” or no words at all, and then onto the kissing, if not the main event. Five minutes of saying how much you desire your wife and WHY is five minutes more than she may have heard in a while.
How can you keep your kids safer without being their full-time watcher?
Kids have fragile brains. If 10 year-old Jimmy bashes his head against concrete, he’ll suffer greater injury than his 35 year-old dad would under the same conditions.
Most of us instinctively know that much. What we often ignore, though, is the fact that kids brains are not only physically more fragile but mentally as well. Psychologists liken a child’s brain to soft, impressionable play-doh. Harsh words that Jimmy’s dad could shrug off might stay with his son for years.
Playing out front with some neighborhood kids one sunny Saturday afternoon last month, Apollo asked if he could go around the block on his bike. By himself and he is 4.
Despite parents’ best intentions, many are raising today’s children to be selfish. That was one of the revelations of a recent Harvard study that found a discrepancy between what parents ranked as their top priorities when it came to instilling values into their children and what children said their folks had actually taught them..
1. For Toddlers ages 1-4, make sure your toilets seats in the toilets are kept closed. Doors are also to be closed always in bathrooms and the laundry rooms.
The in-laws get in after long travels for the holidays, and the first thing they want when they walk in the door are hugs and kisses from their darling grandbabies. Super sweet. Except when the kids aren't feeling like freely giving affection. What happens next?
Maybe you didn’t hear me. I really, really, really want it.
Anyone who’s ever bitten into a slice of watermelon knows it induces a state of relaxation like few other fruits. But did you know that the fruit can also be used as medicine? Humans began doing just that thousands of years ago. Renowned physicians like Hippocrates and Dioscorides actually praised the bright red melon for its healing properties.
"I got to sit down to dinner and hear all the stories from the day with the kids. I got to give them a bath and hear their squeals and giggles. I got to snuggle and love on them for 3 hours more than he did. He is the one sacrificing, not me.”
Pope Francis warned that sitting on a sofa gives illusion of safety from pain, fear or worries, allowing the sitter to kick back and lose themselves for hours in the latest television show or their smartphones.
Parents now need to bribe children in a bid to make them read at bedtime rather than use iphones and other gadgets, a new survey has revealed.
It’s June Holidays! While it’s a great time to kick back and relax, it’s also an excellent period to explore your kid’s interest and take advantage of the multitude of holiday programmes and activities. We’ve shortlisted 13 must-check-out-programs for you!
For a decade and a half, the big chocolate makers have promised to end child labor in their industry—and have spent tens of millions of dollars in the effort. But as of the latest estimate, 2.1 million West African children still do the dangerous and physically taxing work of harvesting cocoa. What will it take to fix the problem?
Parents, please take note: it's available on Android through their Telegram channel.
Of the products EWG reviewed, they had “serious concerns” about 750 of them. That’s way more than a CVS aisle-worth.
I see you looking my way – when I hold my 7 year old, my 5 year old, my 3 year old in my arms. I want to tell you something: my 9 year old doesn’t fit there anymore… and that is why I still carry my kids.
Increasing number of kids suffer from anxiety disorder today. Researchers have been studying on the effects of various treatments, and the results are out:
As far as we're concerned, the whole point of having kids is tweeting the absurd and vaguely disturbing things they say. There's nothing quite like seeing inside the mind of a tiny person who hasn't yet been shaped cultural norms (and common decency). And we owe the Twitter famous and fabulous Kelly Oxford a huge thank you for bringing us the wise words of her seven-year-old daughter, Bea.
If sleep is scary for your child, chances are your family isn’t feeling very well rested. Nightmares and night terrors are fairly common in early childhood. While many people will use the terms interchangeably, nightmares and night terrors are, in fact, very different events.
Frustrating, isn’t it? But take heart, because there are simple ways to get your children to listen to you. I’ve worked with thousands of children and teens, so I’ll share with you the 20 best tips I know. - See more at: https://www.familiesforlife.sg/discover-an-article/Pages/20-Simple-Ways-To-Get-Your-Children-To-Listen-To-You.aspx#sthash.yF9zXCZ1.dpuf
From homemade pokeballs to no-sew costumes and LEGO pokemon creations, we’ve found the very best tutorials for all things Pokemon.
It never fails: You take just a two-minute bathroom break, and by the time you’re done your toddler has emptied his toy box across the living-room floor, ripped your magazines to shreds, and somehow gotten into the crisper drawer of the fridge. “Toddlers learn by exploring their environment with all five senses,” says Alexis Clyde, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist at Children’s Medical Center Dallas. Kids this age are particularly fascinated by how an object works and what happens when they bend, drop, or throw it. While your child’s inquiries are normal, it’s no fun having your house constantly look like a wreck. We’ll help you contain the chaos by controlling his behavior without suppressing his inquisitiveness.
Here are tips by Randy Dean, the author of bestselling book at Amazon, for making sure the robots work for you and not the other way around:
From Jan 1 to May 21 there have been a total of 50 reported measles cases, about three times more than the 17 cases in 2015 during the same period, MOH says.
I see it all too often: Mom or Dad bring in their toddler for their first visit to the dentist, and I have to break the news to them that their toddler has several cavities.
Just because baby teeth fall out doesn’t mean cavities are okay for the baby teeth. Cavities in baby teeth can absolutely affect the adult teeth, as well as the size of the oral cavity later on in development.
Here are eight vital life skills that children aren’t taught in school:
1. Independence: Teaching children, a little at a time, to be independent, can show them that they can make decisions on their own. Letting them make their own mistakes can teach them valuable lessons they’ll carry with them.
2. Compassion: Compassion is needed to work well with others, to care for other people and to find happiness through making other people happy.
3. Individuality: They need to be taught that we come in all sizes, shapes and colors, and it is perfectly OK to be unique.
4. Welcoming Change: Teaching children that change isn’t something to be afraid of – just something to prepare for – can help them in so many aspects throughout their life.
5. Happiness: Many parents coddle their children in an attempt to keep them happy and safe, but it can make children rely on their parents for their happiness. Teaching a child from an early age that they can be happy on their own, by things like playing, reading and imagining, is a valuable life lesson.
6. Finding Passion: Many people struggle with finding their passion. Helping a child find what he or she is passionate about by allowing them to try a bunch of different things can help them find a source of lifelong internal happiness and motivation. Encourage the adventure, but let children decide on their own, where they find passion.
7. Asking questions: Teaching children that asking questions is a good thing, can encourage their curiosity and help them continue to seek knowledge in different aspects of life.
8. Solving problems: Constantly solving a child’s problems for them won’t help them as they grow. They need to know that they can solve problems on their own. New skills, a new environment, a new job – they’re all just problems to be solved. Modeling problem solving and allowing children to come up with their solution ideas can help them develop confidence and let them know that whatever comes their way, they are capable of handling it.
But what is meningococcal meningitis, why does it occur in seasons, and why does it strike fear into the hearts of so many?
In a country where more than 35 per cent of girls are discouraged from studying and going to school, young prodigy Sushma Verma from Lucknow has a different story to tell! At age 7 when most of us were barely able to dedicate 30 minutes to studying, Sushma had already completed her 10th. At the young age of 13, she had enrolled herself in college and was getting her Master’s Degree in Microbiology from Lucknow University.
Research has found that the closer a child is to their father, the less likely they are to have behavioral problems in the future, Independent reports.
After examining data from parents of 10,440 children, the researchers found that fathers who were emotionally involved with their child and who felt confident in their role as a parent had kids who were 28% less likely to suffer behavioral problems.
The researchers concluded that the psychological and emotional aspects of fatherhood are more powerful in influencing child behavior—not the amount of time fathers help in childcare or domestic tasks.
Maybe you’re a bit nervous about math class (I know I was!) but at the same time you’re also really excited to try out for a sports team or the school play. You can feel both at the same time! And don’t forget to fill the piñata with back-to-school supplies for some extra fun!