9 Things Your Kids Need (But Won’t Tell You)
These 9 things your kids need from you—whether they know it or not—are too important to ignore.
These 9 things your kids need from you—whether they know it or not—are too important to ignore.
Since I aim to do most of the housework while he is in school, it is little surprise he does not see much of the work involved in running a household.
When we decided to do without live-in help four years ago after our maid left, the plan was for the kids to be more independent.
After all, getting kids involved in daily chores during school break leads to fulfilling time for all.
Karen Katz, award-winning author and illustrator of children's books including the bestselling Where Is Baby's Belly Button?, answers your concerns about reading to babies and toddlers.
A college professor in Kentucky is getting a ton of online praise after a photo of him babysitting a student’s kids so she could take her final exam went viral.
Do you know how to administer CPR or the Heimlich maneuver in babies and kids? If your answer is no, well, you should. Mind you, knowing how to perform these emergency maneuvers on adults is entirely different when performing it on babies and kids.
risha Prabhu, a 15-year-old who gave a TEDxTeen talk about cyberbullying, created an app called ReThink that’s designed to get your kid to do the one thing you might have a spotty track record with: think before they do something stupid. Specifically, before they send a text or post a message to social media that might make another kid feel like crap.
Prince George and Princess Charlotte may come from a royal family in the United Kingdom. However, their royalty parents, Prince William and Kate Middleton do not want both royal babies to receive the impeccable royal treatment. Even though they have inherited a number of luxury bedroom spreads around Kensington Palace in London, their royal parents prefer to treat them as average children.
As a result, Prince William takes on the responsibility to go on a 10-mile journey to pick up his son from pre-school. George who is now 2 years old has begun his study at East Walton's Westacre Montessori School for a 3 days a week program. This set up, makes Prince George converse better and improve his social skills by being around other pre-school students. This successfully eliminates the gap between the son of Royal Prince and the average regular student.
According to US Magazine, Prince William and Kate Middleton like to take care of their children by themselves without special assistance. "I very much feel if I can do it myself, I want to do it myself", Prince William explained after the birth of George 2 years ago.
Finally, there is an answer to this question, and it is a good one. The Reason Why Children are 800% Worse When Their Mothers Are Around is simple. If your child acts up in front of you it means that you are being a good mom, and doing your job just right.
Suggested apps that are both engaging and educational
As a former after-school teacher, I’ve spent three years working with kids in a more relaxed environment than the classroom. And, in those hours with kids as their less-guarded selves, I’ve seen the bullying, teasing, whispers and shoves that scarcely get reported home to parents.
Kids who understand gratitude have better grades and are less likely to get depressed. This was the conclusion of a recent story in the Wall Street Journal that struck a chord with both my husband and me.
I was on the phone with my friend Elizabeth when I heard her 9-month old daughter Poppy screeching in the background.
“Ooooh!” I winced. “Is Poppy okay?”
“She’s not crying. She’s laughing!” Elizabeth explained. “Greg’s playing Tickle Monster with her.”
What do you think makes children unhappy? A recent study has shown that it is no longer unsatisfying toys or snacks. Rather, online pressure is increasingly hunting the children from early age. Parental guidance becomes crucial to instill in your child healthy self-image. This article lists which apps to blacklist, which to closely monitor, and, the most important of all, how to communicate without crossing the line.
The only way we are going to change the world is to change it one man and one boy at a time.
Parenting, in a nutshell, is giving your children the tools to succeed in life. Here are ten parenting tips that I have tried to teach our children and have used in my medical practice during the past 40 years.
What are signs of pink eye in children? What are the remedies? Pink eyes are often commonly ignored, but improper treatment can lead to recurring pink eye cases that become increasingly resistant to treatment. NEWBORNS ARE PARTICULARLY AT RISKS for pink eye and ensuing complications that lead to serious health damage.
While it may seem like such a small gesture, it can truly mean the world to feel included.
Are your kids crazy about bugs? We are fans of all things ladybug! We love to see them in our garden eating harmful pests, plus I hear it’s good luck if one lands on you! Shared below is an adorable Cupcake Liner Ladybug Craft, perfect for kids of all ages.
Preschool children expand their vocabulary and become more articulate at expressing their thoughts every day and if you do something more frequently in the very early years, it will help shape their character for years to come.
"I got to sit down to dinner and hear all the stories from the day with the kids. I got to give them a bath and hear their squeals and giggles. I got to snuggle and love on them for 3 hours more than he did. He is the one sacrificing, not me.”
With these honey bee coloring pages, you can color your own wonderful honey-producing pollinator! I created these two coloring pages from a bee drawing that I colored live for you to enjoy. Coloring can be a very relaxing activity for not just children, but adults as well; it’s a great way to wind down at the end of the day, especially with some nice music turned on.
So junior is starting infantcare as you bounce back from your maternity leave. Or perhaps, you have just enrolled your 2-year old in childcare, so she can socialise with other children. Here’s what you should know.
1. If you have digestive upset: An unidentified substance in tomatoes and tomato-based products can cause acid reflux. People with digestive upset could try eliminating tomatoes for two or three weeks to see if things feel better.
2. If you take a blood-thinning drug such as warfarin (Coumadin): It’s important to maintain steady blood levels of vitamin K (e.g. kale, spinach, turnip greens) —sudden increases can lessen the effects of the drug.
3. If you have a history of kidney stones: Limit oxalate-rich foods, such as rhubard, spinach, beets, and beet greens.
4. If you have gout: Watch your asparagus intake.
5. If you have certain allergies: Eating such foods as artichokes may provoke an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to ragweed allergens. People sensitive to latex may have an allergic reaction to avocados. Many people sensitive to aspirin may suffer an allergic reaction to radishes, which contain salicylates, compounds similar to the drugs’ active ingredients.
6. If you have an inflammatory GI disorder: Avoid or minimize your intake of cabbage, which contains bacteria that live naturally in the intestinal tract and cause gas and bloating.
7. If you're watching your weight: Be picky about eggplant-based dishes. Eggplants’ spongy texture soaks up fat. In fact, deep-fried eggplants soak up four times as much fat as French-fried potatoes.
8. If you have an underactive thyroid: Turnips contain two goitrogenic substances, progoitrin and gluconasturtin, which can interfere with the thyroid gland’s ability to make its hormones.
We decided to create our own DIY Treasure Chest for Toddlers using a baby wipes container and baby food lids to kick off our first activity. And I just happened to have some gold spray paint leftover from our Solomon’s Temple blocks to make our makeshift “treasure chest” and gold coins a little more authentic-looking.
Why make your own baby food when there are so many good commercial brands available? Homemade baby food produces less waste (by the time a baby is 12 months old, he’s emptied 600 jars of baby food on average), costs less, contains no chemicals or additives and is fresher. Besides, it’s simple! Here’s how to make your own baby food purees, plus some easy recipe ideas to get your started.
A Hemet family is trying to raise money to replace their car — the only way to get their grandma to the hospital for much-needed cancer treatments
Does your child get anxious or angry often or frustrated easily? In the moment it’s often best to err on the side of support rather than challenging or giving logic and reason as an answer to their emotion. It’s often helpful to acknowledge the emotion and provide empathy and give time and space to let a child calm down.
Storm-Manea Ellyatt is calling bull on the facade of parenthood displayed on social media. Instead of posting a highlight reel of her life, she’s getting real about the daily struggles she faces as a mother — and she invites everyone to join her.
“All those cute bonds ads, miniature Nike shoes, adorable baby shower gifts, baby spam on Instagram, squad dates with your mum posse and those god damn laceylaners lied to me,” she wrote on Thursday, listing her failed expectations about parenting based on how it’s conveyed by ads, TV and online.
“Not once did I see an ad with a mum locked in her cupboard crying in her leaked stained pjs from 3 days ago, covered in sweat and vomit, praying to every god imaginable for the strength and patience to go back to the s**tshow that is now their life,” she wrote. “The once calm, poised, patient goddess, who could sling cocktials, swear with sailors and dance uninhibited until tomorrow afternoon, can bearly hold a conversation, hold her eyes open or the tears back from this new found ‘bliss.’”
At some point of time in our lives, we have to deal with changes. While some of us deal with changes more readily, there are also those who are resistant to them. As adults, we find ways and strategies to help ourselves cope with such transitions. It is pretty much the same with toddlers, but these small ones would need us to help them find a coping mechanism.
"It's time to stop princess shaming. There are thousands of gendered messages my little girl absorbs every day: the way I curse how my pants fit, the way shopkeepers talk to her, the way teachers assume that I am the dominant caregiver," Vardanis wrote. "There are so many battles to be fought, but princesses with sparkly tiaras may be the least of our worries."
Perhaps the best way to lessen the negative effects of the Disney princess culture to young girls is to expose them to all things in moderation, Time reports. Disney also made an effort in redesigning its Disney Princess collection by introducing braver, "more empowered" and "less boy-crazy" princesses such as Merida of "Brave" and Elsa of "Frozen."
You can use these 4 steps to gently wean your baby or toddler away from co-sleeping, and towards sleeping in his or her own bed (and hopefully sleeping through the night!)...
As the parent of a toddler, your big adult mind is always trying to make sense of what’s going through their tiny kid one. “Why are you flopping on the ground?” “Why are you biting me for no particular reason?” “Why are you peeing yourself while maintaining eye contact?” The biggest issue is that you don’t know what they’re thinking, and they can’t tell you yet. But science can.
Toddlers are true innovators who think outside the box, and they work quickly. By that, I mean, you can’t leave them alone for a second or they will bathe themselves in Vaseline or eat food from the dog’s bowl. Once, when I was trying to write an email, my toddler found a pair of scissors and decided to give herself bangs. The problem was that the bangs were on the side of her head and not the front, which was not a great look for her.
The widening education gap between the rich and the poor is not news to those who work in education, many of whom have been struggling to close the gap beginning the day poor children enter kindergarten or preschool. But one unlikely soldier has joined the fight: a pediatric surgeon who wants to get started way before kindergarten. She wants to start closing the gap the day babies are born.
The fact of the matter is this: moms are the best.
Although math skills are considered notoriously hard to change, Johns Hopkins University researchers improved preschoolers’ arithmetic performance simply by exercising their intuitive number sense with a quick computer game.
But what is meningococcal meningitis, why does it occur in seasons, and why does it strike fear into the hearts of so many?
Children need special attention in their early years for their healthy development. One area that is crucial for their safety and healthy growth is ensuring that they receive all their recommended vaccines. Vaccination is a powerful tool to prevent infectious diseases.
Here are eight vital life skills that children aren’t taught in school:
1. Independence: Teaching children, a little at a time, to be independent, can show them that they can make decisions on their own. Letting them make their own mistakes can teach them valuable lessons they’ll carry with them.
2. Compassion: Compassion is needed to work well with others, to care for other people and to find happiness through making other people happy.
3. Individuality: They need to be taught that we come in all sizes, shapes and colors, and it is perfectly OK to be unique.
4. Welcoming Change: Teaching children that change isn’t something to be afraid of – just something to prepare for – can help them in so many aspects throughout their life.
5. Happiness: Many parents coddle their children in an attempt to keep them happy and safe, but it can make children rely on their parents for their happiness. Teaching a child from an early age that they can be happy on their own, by things like playing, reading and imagining, is a valuable life lesson.
6. Finding Passion: Many people struggle with finding their passion. Helping a child find what he or she is passionate about by allowing them to try a bunch of different things can help them find a source of lifelong internal happiness and motivation. Encourage the adventure, but let children decide on their own, where they find passion.
7. Asking questions: Teaching children that asking questions is a good thing, can encourage their curiosity and help them continue to seek knowledge in different aspects of life.
8. Solving problems: Constantly solving a child’s problems for them won’t help them as they grow. They need to know that they can solve problems on their own. New skills, a new environment, a new job – they’re all just problems to be solved. Modeling problem solving and allowing children to come up with their solution ideas can help them develop confidence and let them know that whatever comes their way, they are capable of handling it.
Approximately at the age of two, children learn bowel control first before bladder control or the reverse way. The child’s bowel or bladder control is mostly done in the morning than in the evening. Experts suggested that potty training should only be initiated when your child is already showing certain signs of readiness which is visible in the ages of two to three years old. There are signs when they already exhibiting attitudes of controlling their bowel or bladder.
Here’s one Father’s Day craft we know both Dad and your kids will love. Do you remember Shrinky Dinks from when you were little? They were so fun! Well, they make blank Shrinky Dink sheets now that you can use to create your own projects with.
We’ve put together 35 of the BEST Jack o Lantern Patterns for Halloween. These free pumpkin carving templates are sure to get you in a spooky mood for Halloween. You and your kids will have fun browsing through all of these pumpkin templates and choosing your very own to trace and carve this season.
For this new bullet on your DIY bucket list, you can thank Reddit user “radamshome,” a video game artist who just uploaded his entry in the Dad Of The Year awards to Imgur. It has a cozy reading nook, 12-volt lighting, a top sitting area, and enough room for him to cuddle up with his daughter for a bedtime story. If that makes you feel inadequate, wait until you look under the hood of this thing.
Every year, around 6,000 American children are born with Down syndrome.
Sensory tubs gives children opportunities for learning so many things, not just making a mess. The one that I see most often with the 3-year-olds I work with and thinking back to my own children is storytelling.
In a day, there can be a number of instances when you end up yelling at your kids despite trying hard not to do so. You see your daughter sketching the walls and despite your repeated urges, she continues the act eventually stopping once you raise your voice. Your son is busy with his play-station and is least interested in doing his school assignment. How do you make him do that? Well, there is no other option other than yelling. Many parents adopt this strategy as they feel it's the best way to bring them under control.