This Single Dad Setup a Hair Class to Teach Fathers How to Do Their Daughter’s Hair
Father and daughter relationships are some of the sweetest, and what better way for dad to bond with his little girl than to master the art of doing her hair.
Father and daughter relationships are some of the sweetest, and what better way for dad to bond with his little girl than to master the art of doing her hair.
In 1971, professor Julian Stanley founded the Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth (SMPY) program. SMPY is “the longest-running current longitudinal survey of intellectually talented children,” Nature reports. For the last 45 years it’s tracked the accomplishments of over 5,000 gifted children – and they’ve shaped our world.
This FREE Farm Animals activity includes 8 farm animals that children have to match to their beginning letter sounds. Includes both uppercase and lowercase letters so you can choose which one is right for your child.
As the environmental exposures and chemical burden on our bodies has risen, so have rates of diseases, particularly those that impact kids, including asthma, childhood cancers, autism, and ADHD. The questions arise: What are the toxins? Where can we find them? How dangerous are they? Most importantly, how can we reduce, if not remove, them?
The New York Times journalist Nick Bilton once asked the late Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, the following question during an interview: ‘It seems that your kids are crazy about the iPad, right?’ He got the following, unexpected answer: ‘They don’t use them. We limit the amount of time they are allowed to use iPads at home.’ There’s certainly something to think about here...
Recently, I had a conversation with a friend in which she divulged to me that her 10-year-old son has an Instagram account. Because she and I usually see eye to eye on most parenting decisions, I was surprised. When I asked her about it, she explained that, for her son, she has rules and privacy settings in place to protect him. She told me she’s had conversations about appropriate photos and internet safety. She said she trusts him and wants him to develop good judgment online.
Approximately at the age of two, children learn bowel control first before bladder control or the reverse way. The child’s bowel or bladder control is mostly done in the morning than in the evening. Experts suggested that potty training should only be initiated when your child is already showing certain signs of readiness which is visible in the ages of two to three years old. There are signs when they already exhibiting attitudes of controlling their bowel or bladder.
1. When you get home, ask, “What can I do to help?” Then for at least five minutes, actually do what she says. A lot of people ask this question and then do half of the job. So, the job is set the table, and they take out some plates. Or the job is diaper the baby, and they leave the wipes and the cream open and an empty bag of diapers laying around. Only five minutes is necessary for many household related tasks, or five minutes could make a good dent. At the very least, for five minutes your wife will see you fully engaged in a task, and not sitting doing nothing (which women hate), and that will magically make her happy and less stressed out.
2. Tell your wife what she does that you appreciate. For five whole minutes, tell her what she does that makes you happy and feel appreciative and grateful. Five minutes is a long time to talk, and you’ll see that this can make a real positive impact on your wife’s feelings. She may look at you with a smile like she did when you were dating. Or a more tired version of it at least.
3. Send your wife an email about how much you love her. No logistics, no plans, just a love letter. Women love this stuff. Most of them. If you try it and it doesn’t have any happiness impact, then next time try the next one...
4. Go on Amazon or Etsy and take five minutes to buy your wife a little surprise present. This doesn’t take very long.
5. When you want to have sex, look into your wife’s eyes and tell her how much you want her and how sexy she is. Use SPECIFICS. Do this for five minutes. This is longer than most men take, by a power of 1 million. Because, let’s face it, the usual is, “You’re so hot,” or no words at all, and then onto the kissing, if not the main event. Five minutes of saying how much you desire your wife and WHY is five minutes more than she may have heard in a while.
I thought my childhood was idyllic until I had children of my own. That is when cracks began to form in the foundation; I noticed weaknesses in myself stemming back to my upbringing and resolved to do better when parenting my own kids.
How can you tell if your child is being bullied? If my child comes to me and tells me he is being bullied, what is the best thing to do? So, what can I do to stop the bullying?
We see "kid friendly" on a snack food and we think it hits all the nutritional sweet spots: not too much sugar or trans fats or garbage-y preservatives. Alas, we cannot believe everything we read. Although God knows, we keep trying!
Recently, ChubbHubs and I had a very serious discussion about Bubs’ education – how we wanted him to be taught, what we wanted him to learn and the kind of man we wanted him to grow up to be. To begin with, we had to select the best preschool in Singapore.
Mommies, how about sharing some of your attention to daddies for the Father's Day? This article shows a compact list of what daddies would want according to their types.
Babies are usually the ones messing up the house (in the cutest, squigdy-iest, giggliest way) but it’s time for you to take a break from wiping up that yoghurt and putting toys away, because you’re about to see how baby housework is done. As in, the baby doing the housework in the video
To me, the definition is simple. While most of the time I try to raise my kids in a nurturing, educationally rich, nutritiously sound environment, sometimes, the s*@# just hits the fan (or, more likely, my most expensive rug). And when temper tantrums, fevers, or general fussiness is the order of the day, all bets are off . . . and the cartoons come on. And I am totally, 100 percent OK with that. So how do you become a survivalist mom? Here's my handy guide to my "whatever gets you through the day" philosophy.
"I got to sit down to dinner and hear all the stories from the day with the kids. I got to give them a bath and hear their squeals and giggles. I got to snuggle and love on them for 3 hours more than he did. He is the one sacrificing, not me.”
This Rainbow Smoothie is delicious, easy to prep, and very fun to drink. Kids get so excited with colorful eats!
You stick cookie dough into an oven, and magically, you get a plate of warm, gooey cookies. Except it’s not magic; it’s science. Stephanie Warren explains via basic chemistry principles how the dough spreads out, at what temperature we can kill salmonella, and why that intoxicating smell wafting from your oven indicates that the cookies are ready for eating.
Sure, people bothered me. I’d been in arguments and even a few physical altercations, but even then I never truly lost my shit. Then I had children, and my dormant crazy bitch came bubbling to the surface.
I know you think I wear yoga pants and athletic T-shirts because I spend my days doing pilates while my kids practice Mozart on their harmonicas. But, I’m here to tell you, I wear them because they’re stretchy...
New ideas for sandwiches, wraps, mini-pizzas and more tasty lunch recipes for kids.
For a decade and a half, the big chocolate makers have promised to end child labor in their industry—and have spent tens of millions of dollars in the effort. But as of the latest estimate, 2.1 million West African children still do the dangerous and physically taxing work of harvesting cocoa. What will it take to fix the problem?
Gluten-free products are increasingly popular, but they are not suitable for everyone. While a diet without gluten may work for adults, there are only a few reasons for children to avoid it, and many reasons not to.
One of the best documentary series that will thrill people of all gender and ages. It consists of total 11 episodes, each featuring a specific biosphere of our planet Earth. Narrated by David Attenborough, BBC put their best resources into making this stellar work. Watch one episode, you will come out amazed.
For obvious reasons, praising your kids can lead to a whole lot of good for your little one’s wellbeing. It boosts her confidence and self-esteem while keeping her motivated to do her best. It also shows your tot that you are aware of her struggles and triumphs.
Even for parents, it feels good for you to praise your progeny because they represent the best of you.
There are some things I used to do before I had kids that are impossible now that I have three. Remember the things you used to dare try because you had silence, the time, and the patience — back when these things weren’t considered luxuries like they are to so many of us now because we have little hellions running around ruining everything they touch? Here is a list of 10 things that are ill-advised once you start breeding. Believe me, I have tried them all.
Nature vs. Nurture: While identical twins share the same DNA, they don't become the "same" people. So, how does "Nurture" affect our children?
A young and fascinating field of research called behavioral economics helps us explain why our kids act entitled sometimes.
“Children feel under pressure to have this perfect life that it looks like everyone else is having according to Instagram and that’s really hard to deal with”
Are your kids crazy about bugs? We are fans of all things ladybug! We love to see them in our garden eating harmful pests, plus I hear it’s good luck if one lands on you! Shared below is an adorable Cupcake Liner Ladybug Craft, perfect for kids of all ages.
The fact of the matter is this: moms are the best.
I try to squeeze in my greens with every meal … I really do try! I love spinach and kale, and all the health benefits that come along with eating these magical greens. But I’ll be honest, I need some dressing or lemon vinaigrette to be able to eat them. When juicing became a hit, I immediately got excited! I can finally eat my greens without even tasting them in my smoothies! How amazing is that?!
Room sharing tips can be so helpful to second-time mothers. When I was pregnant with my second son I worried about how sibling room sharing would go. I looked all over the internet for reassurance that my baby and my preschooler would be fine sharing a room. We live in a very small home and while baby would be staying in our room at first, the two boys would have to bunk together eventually.
Practical solutions for real parenting problems - 3 Guiding Principles for Parents
Flu and the common cold are different illnesses, although they may share some symptoms. You tend to feel much worse with flu, often being confined to bed for several days, whereas a cold will usually just make you feel under the weather.
Parenting young children (really children of any age) is an intensely emotional experience. There is the pure pleasure of cuddling, playing, laughing, exploring, and delighting in your baby’s daily growth and discoveries. And then there are the challenges—the moments of stress, anger, frustration, and resentment—at not knowing what a baby’s cry means and how to calm her, at the totally irrational demands of a toddler, or at the aggressive behavior of an older child toward a new baby...
The habits of kids will later make their character and will help shape their future. It is therefore important to teach kids to have good habits at their early age. One of areas where they should have develop is to have the discipline in having the right habits with the food they eat.
The pupils illustrated all sorts of inventive doodles on the skirt: rainbows and kites, butterflies and bugs, and even a sock monkey makes an appearance!
1. If you have digestive upset: An unidentified substance in tomatoes and tomato-based products can cause acid reflux. People with digestive upset could try eliminating tomatoes for two or three weeks to see if things feel better.
2. If you take a blood-thinning drug such as warfarin (Coumadin): It’s important to maintain steady blood levels of vitamin K (e.g. kale, spinach, turnip greens) —sudden increases can lessen the effects of the drug.
3. If you have a history of kidney stones: Limit oxalate-rich foods, such as rhubard, spinach, beets, and beet greens.
4. If you have gout: Watch your asparagus intake.
5. If you have certain allergies: Eating such foods as artichokes may provoke an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to ragweed allergens. People sensitive to latex may have an allergic reaction to avocados. Many people sensitive to aspirin may suffer an allergic reaction to radishes, which contain salicylates, compounds similar to the drugs’ active ingredients.
6. If you have an inflammatory GI disorder: Avoid or minimize your intake of cabbage, which contains bacteria that live naturally in the intestinal tract and cause gas and bloating.
7. If you're watching your weight: Be picky about eggplant-based dishes. Eggplants’ spongy texture soaks up fat. In fact, deep-fried eggplants soak up four times as much fat as French-fried potatoes.
8. If you have an underactive thyroid: Turnips contain two goitrogenic substances, progoitrin and gluconasturtin, which can interfere with the thyroid gland’s ability to make its hormones.
But despite all of my husband’s wonderful qualities, I have to admit that it’s always made me slightly uncomfortable when anyone has told me how “lucky” I am to have the type of husband that I do — the kind that thinks of nothing of getting up with our kids at night, the kind that happily makes dinner, the kind that I would never doubt could handle all four of our offspring on his own if I happened to have an overnight business trip. (Hey, a girl can dream, right?)
What if he is gay? Will he need to be afraid every time he goes out with friends? What if he is targeted for being part Jewish? What if someone chooses to hate him for his profession, his looks, his interests, or his lifestyle?
Praise has become something of a loaded subject with regard to kids, one tangled up in debates over self-esteem, academic pressure, and how to raise people who know how to work for what they want. There’s a Goldilocks effect at play: You don’t want to go overboard, but neither do you want to be too unenthused. And a study in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science showed how important it is for parents to get it just right.
I am a Boy Mom.
I remember thinking during the gender ultrasound of my second baby that it was certainly a girl (after all, I always dreamed of having one of both genders), and then the technician said, “It’s a boy!”.
Strangely enough, my first thought was “I get to be the Mom of 2 BOYS!!” I was so excited. I love my oldest son, and was so excited to have another boy to love.
As much as I love little boys, there are some things that are unique to raising them.
Yes, there is penis talk, fart jokes, and dirt but there’s so much more about boys that every expecting Boy Mom needs to know.
All parents want the best for their kids. That's essentially what we are tasked to do: to equip kids with the skills, values, and knowledge in order to navigate the grown-up world easily and successfully. It's also why choosing schools is such a nerve-racking experience for parents -- we want to make sure it's a decision that will help our kids get a good shot in a successful future.
This Adventure in Learning activity is for when the adventure gets to be too much. It’s an exercise for slowing down and tuning into our own bodies and awareness. Today, we’re going to learn about Diaphragmatic breathing, also known as belly breathing. It’s a great calming breathing exercise for kids.
Will strict boundaries lay foundation for rich life or cripple kids' prospects in new world?