The Critter Catcher is a pacifistic method to get rid of creepy crawlie
I think I would much prefer this to smashing them with a shoe.
I think I would much prefer this to smashing them with a shoe.
For a child, everything is new. Refresh your view of a mundane day through the lens of a toddler!
Instead of cholesterol-soaked french fries, how about treating your child with crisp-baked tofu?
According to the EWG’s report, these are the 7 worst sunscreens for kids:
1. Banana Boat Kids Max Protect & Play Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
2. Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick, Wacky Foam and Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 55
3. CVS Baby Sunstick Sunscreen and Spray, SPF 55
4. Equate Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
5. Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray and Stick products, SPF 70
6. Up & Up Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
7. Hampton Sun Continuous Mist Sunscreen for Kids, SPF 70
Is your child excited about the upcoming arrival of Finding Dory? Here are some cool ideas you don't want to miss!
News went viral of a young single mother caught stealing a chicken drumstick and two books as Children's Day gifts, according to Chinese media outlets.
From braids to buns, we are so in love with these adorable hairstyles for girls
It’s June Holidays! While it’s a great time to kick back and relax, it’s also an excellent period to explore your kid’s interest and take advantage of the multitude of holiday programmes and activities. We’ve shortlisted 13 must-check-out-programs for you!
It’s not just educational videos and gadgets.
We see "kid friendly" on a snack food and we think it hits all the nutritional sweet spots: not too much sugar or trans fats or garbage-y preservatives. Alas, we cannot believe everything we read. Although God knows, we keep trying!
There is a common belief that Asians are naturally gifted at maths.
Asian countries like Singapore and Japan lead the ranks in first and second position on maths performance in the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) tables – an international survey that ranks education systems worldwide – while Australia sits around 12th.
Over 350 kids receive basketball pointers in first Jr NBA S'pore open clinic; 1,400 more to benefit
The year Sam started kindergarten, he turned 6 in October. He was one of the oldest children in his class, and he didn’t know how to read. When he started first grade he was almost 7, and he still didn’t know how to read. Fortunately for Sam, he entered first grade in 1999. And his teachers, Mrs. Gantt and Mrs. Floyd, didn’t panic if a child didn’t learn to read in kindergarten. In fact, they expected that most children would learn to read in first grade. (They also supported and encouraged children who learned to read easily in kindergarten, like Sam’s brother Ben.)
Recently, ChubbHubs and I had a very serious discussion about Bubs’ education – how we wanted him to be taught, what we wanted him to learn and the kind of man we wanted him to grow up to be. To begin with, we had to select the best preschool in Singapore.
Their photo series “Pucker,” is what happens when life gave these kids lemons.
There are many reasons why a child wets the bed, and there are many myths floating around in the world about bedwetting. These myths can be very detrimental to your night-time toilet training journey, and you should avoid doing these things. Here, we debunk some of the most common of those myths so parents can get a firm, real grasp of why children wet the bed, and how to help them stop.
Being a mother in Singapore isn't easy, so it's no wonder that recent surveys have revealed how woefully unprepared Singaporean mothers are for retirement. A 2015 survey showed that 75 per cent of the mothers surveyed had not even thought about retirement, let alone started planning for it.
If sleep is scary for your child, chances are your family isn’t feeling very well rested. Nightmares and night terrors are fairly common in early childhood. While many people will use the terms interchangeably, nightmares and night terrors are, in fact, very different events.
Munas Van Boonstra runs four businesses simultaneously, while gracefully juggling life as a single mother to two adorable children. Her businesses include an events planning company, Nasty Inc; an events furniture & props rental company, Event Rental Malaysia; Gingerbread Haus, a line of children’s clothing she’s started with her kids, and her latest venture being Supermumpreneur, a women & mum’s university where she teaches women how to do it all and entrepreneurship.
One parenting milestone that we could all live without is that first time your child pukes all over the car. Every parent has a nightmare story about projectile vomit in an enclosed space, and some parents even drive another 10 hours after that happens, which proves parents truly are rock stars.
“Children feel under pressure to have this perfect life that it looks like everyone else is having according to Instagram and that’s really hard to deal with”
While it is rare condition, it has serious dangers: hampered personality development, impeded growth in later stage, etc.
Since I aim to do most of the housework while he is in school, it is little surprise he does not see much of the work involved in running a household.
When we decided to do without live-in help four years ago after our maid left, the plan was for the kids to be more independent.
After all, getting kids involved in daily chores during school break leads to fulfilling time for all.
Cooking with kid is a time-efficient strategy -- by playing with kids, you get your dinner ready. And these recipes are amazing as they allow you and your kids a roomful of space for freedom and creativity.
In this information age where communication is so crucial, our kids are reading less and less. How should you approach this problem? What can you do?
In today’s society, we are concerned with obesity in children but there are also children who are underweight and would benefit from eating more. Some parents may be tempted to feed their children with high calorie foods to boost the child’s weight, but eating wisely is important as children have small stomachs and should consume calories that are of good nutrition. Here are 12 healthy foods that can help young children to gain weight!
Nature vs. Nurture: While identical twins share the same DNA, they don't become the "same" people. So, how does "Nurture" affect our children?
This article gives a fresh list of things that today's parents should seriously think about and succinctly explains why it can be bad. Don't make the list judge what you do but be aware of what can happen if you push your child too much in certain directions.
1. If you have digestive upset: An unidentified substance in tomatoes and tomato-based products can cause acid reflux. People with digestive upset could try eliminating tomatoes for two or three weeks to see if things feel better.
2. If you take a blood-thinning drug such as warfarin (Coumadin): It’s important to maintain steady blood levels of vitamin K (e.g. kale, spinach, turnip greens) —sudden increases can lessen the effects of the drug.
3. If you have a history of kidney stones: Limit oxalate-rich foods, such as rhubard, spinach, beets, and beet greens.
4. If you have gout: Watch your asparagus intake.
5. If you have certain allergies: Eating such foods as artichokes may provoke an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to ragweed allergens. People sensitive to latex may have an allergic reaction to avocados. Many people sensitive to aspirin may suffer an allergic reaction to radishes, which contain salicylates, compounds similar to the drugs’ active ingredients.
6. If you have an inflammatory GI disorder: Avoid or minimize your intake of cabbage, which contains bacteria that live naturally in the intestinal tract and cause gas and bloating.
7. If you're watching your weight: Be picky about eggplant-based dishes. Eggplants’ spongy texture soaks up fat. In fact, deep-fried eggplants soak up four times as much fat as French-fried potatoes.
8. If you have an underactive thyroid: Turnips contain two goitrogenic substances, progoitrin and gluconasturtin, which can interfere with the thyroid gland’s ability to make its hormones.
This article has highlighted some of the major milestones your pediatrician will be tracking during the first visit. You can watch for these, too, so you know how your baby is growing and changing -- and tell your doc if you have any concerns.
Because it’s a paradox, isn’t it? In teaching our girls to take steps to prevent men from raping them, we are admitting on some level, that men view women as property, as sexual objects that they have a right to.
They're naturally independent.
Tips to prevent common summer diseases among kids:
1. Ensure that your child drinks liquids from time to time so that he doesn’t get dehydrated. Fresh fruit juices are preferable to colas and other packaged drinks. It would help if he carried a few of his favorite beverages with him.
2. You and your child should maintain the highest level of hygiene and cleanliness at home and wherever else you might go.
3. Put him on a diet of rich in fibers, water-based fruits like water melon, minerals and vegetables.
4. Do not give him cut veggies and fruits or street food that may be spicy, cooked a long time ago, spicy and oily.
5. Dress your child in loose and lightweight cottons. Ensure that he wears a cap when he’s outdoors and uses sunscreen on the exposed parts of his body.
6. Keep him indoors during the hottest parts of the day, i.e. 10am to 2pm.
7. Keep him out of crowded areas and away from the direct glare of the sun.
Room sharing tips can be so helpful to second-time mothers. When I was pregnant with my second son I worried about how sibling room sharing would go. I looked all over the internet for reassurance that my baby and my preschooler would be fine sharing a room. We live in a very small home and while baby would be staying in our room at first, the two boys would have to bunk together eventually.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is usually diagnosed early in children and it is something that parents should not take lightly. Most parents neglect and don't even notice this situation in their child because they know that it is normal for their kids to be active. The question is how you would determine the difference between an active normal lifestyle of your child between them being hyperactive.
Parenting, in a nutshell, is giving your children the tools to succeed in life. Here are ten parenting tips that I have tried to teach our children and have used in my medical practice during the past 40 years.
If you're like most parents, you'll do just about anything you can to increase the odds that your kids will be successful.
So, what if I were to tell you there's a simple thing you can to do to make it more likely that they'll be successful in life -- specifically by increasing the likelihood that they'll learn to read other people, and even predict how they'll react?
According to a 2002 Traffic Police campaign which advocated the importance of belting up, a properly fitted child restraint system can reduce fatal injuries by up to 75 per cent and serious injuries by 67 per cent.
Here are some safety tips for parents:
1) It's illegal for anyone under the height of 1.35M, regardless of age to be unsecured
2) Make sure children are secured in a restraint appropriate for their age, height & weight
3) Have your children seated at the back & try to avoid placing child seats in front....
If your child is having a hard time breaking into a group or getting along with her peers, she may need your help -- though how (and how much) you should intervene depends on the particular dilemma. We've rounded up some common kid complaints and suggested solutions.
My husband and I thought we were done having kids after we had our first two. Then when our youngest was 3 and we had just celebrated chucking the diapers—surprise!—pregnant! We rolled with it, and now I can’t imagine life without our three kids.
"Why can't a superhero, builder or dino explorer also be a nurturer?"
As parents, it’s understandable that we want only the best for our kids. Because of that, it’s easy to end up spending more money than we ought to. A way to start is to be aware of what are the items that are a total waste of money. So here they are!
Many children hate to eat vegetables but almost all children love superheroes. Combining the two apparently yields good results for those of you who aim best in your children's nutrition. A research has found that presenting vegetables as cartoon superheroes get children encouraged to eat vegetables.
Here is a free printable watermelon themed math game that will get kids counting and learning their numbers - perfect for any day!
From Jan 1 to May 21 there have been a total of 50 reported measles cases, about three times more than the 17 cases in 2015 during the same period, MOH says.
Don’t stop reading aloud to your kids—even when they’re in their teens. It sounds weird and funny, but speech language therapist Anthony D. Koutsoftas, PhD., one of the speakers at “Beyond Borders,” the first convention by the Philippine Association of Speech Pathologists (PASP), insists it is one of the best ways to improve your child’s reading and language abilities.
Kids who understand gratitude have better grades and are less likely to get depressed. This was the conclusion of a recent story in the Wall Street Journal that struck a chord with both my husband and me.
A dad in Indiana is cracking up a lot of parents online after he sent his baby daughter to daycare in a very interesting outfit -- yes, you saw it right.